Help with Stand up shower

Old 04-04-07, 03:16 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Help with Stand up shower

Me and my husband are first time home owners and purchased a 45 yr old house. Last month of shower which overhangs to the outside (2nd floor) Begin to leak. We put chalking in the joints in the corners where to leak originated. However now I am worried about other damage this could have caused. The shower itself is 32" by 45" by 79". We are both really new to the do it yourself stuff and was wondering how hard it would be to remove and replace all the old tile and more than likely replace the backing well. THe other thing is also that the water does not drain well, like the bottom was not set correctly. please for my ignorance on this subject, but like I said we are new to this stuff and are needing to repair it on a budget, and the best way we could see to do this was doing it ourselfs.

Old 04-04-07, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Has any of the tile or grout lines in the existing tile crack yet?

Depending on how severe the leak was, taking up the tile may lead to other things that you probably did not want to see, i.e. warped subfloor, mold, etc.

How long did it leak for?

Old 04-05-07, 04:40 AM
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Melissa: welcome to the forums! I agree with Mark, in that removing tile, etc. will be alot of work, and you may not want to go there just yet. You stated you used caulking in the joints. Hopefully you used a silicone based product like GE Silicone II, rather than a latex based product. Latex will dissolve in water, so you will not have done any good using it.
Give us some insight as to how much damage is evident so we can give more advice. Good luck with your new house.

Old 04-08-07, 09:54 PM
C
I used the caulking that was made for bathrooms *found out the hard way not all are waterproof *. As for the leaking we there is evidence on the downstairs ceiling this was probably not the first time this has happened with a water spot when we moved in. The shower itself is positioned half over the living room and half on an over hang outside . We noticed we had a leak when my husband was out in the yard and water began dripping pretty steadily while I was showering. As for how long, not completely sure. Probably a week or two.

As for the current tile we have a cracked line almost circling the shower about eye level going through the middle of a row of tiles. The grout was most nonexistent in the area we did the caulking. It looked as though the previous owners tried caulking and did not fill it in all the way only a thin bead was there.

As for other damage non is immediately apparent.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 04-09-07, 05:45 PM
Have you checked for a drain leak. Usually tile leaks are not so pronounced as to drip while you are taking a shower.

Old 04-09-07, 07:08 PM
C
no we have not. will check that tomorrow

Old 04-10-07, 04:08 PM
H
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Where are you located? I've seen showers over a cantilevered area cause problems before. Typically the trap freezes and cracks because the overhang outside is not insulated properly and subjected to the outside cold. By design this is a bad setup. Is the drain near the exterior wall? I think Larry is onto something with the plumbing, and I think I would start with the trap first.

Old 04-10-07, 05:10 PM
C
The drain does not seem to be leaking, at least not where it is dripping outside. as for where the drain is located I have not idea. If it is a plumbing problem it would not surprise me seeing how our second baths sink only had flex pipe in it from a drain. We are located in NC.

Old 04-10-07, 05:44 PM
Johnny may have hit it. Your ptrap on the sinks are in heated rooms, while the ptrap for the shower/tub are out in the cantilever away from heat, and since they hold water to keep sewer gasses from entering the house, with a severely cold winter, it could have cracked. I live 7 miles from Western North Carolina, and, here in the mountains, we have had some wierd weather with temps in the low teens. That could have an effect on your situation. Is there any way to get to the trap, either from the basement or by removing some of the soffit of the cantilever?

Old 04-12-07, 09:54 PM
C
I'm not sure. The shower is actually on the second floor so we may be able to remove the area that is outside it looks like it is only a piece of plywood. thanks for the info we will try to do this tomorrow weather permitting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: