How to pick molding

Old 04-06-07, 03:57 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to pick molding

I am about to buy premier cabinets from home depot. I did all the measurments myself and plan on going in and just ordering the cabinets. The problem I am coming to is what type of molding do I buy for the base of the cabinets. There is nothing that says toe plate molding or anything like that. I know I need it since I am using a fill at the end of the base cabinet and there fills only go the 30inches to cover the end so obviously there will be a gap at the bottom kick plate unless I cover it with molding. If anyone knows what type of molding I should be getting please let me know.

Thanks

Old 04-06-07, 04:11 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I used shoe molding where the toe kick meets the floor.

My question is - If you are buying the cabinets from HD, why not have HD do the measurements? Their design guy should be able to hook you up with molding and trim options.

Old 04-06-07, 04:28 PM
W
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
Toe Kick

Toe kick is a flat piece of 1/4 inch plywood stained to match your cabinet. Make sure to get enough linear feet to finish the job. The HD order guy should be able to help you get the correct color to match the cabinets you order.

The toe kick board covers the 3 1/2 inch high space on the front between the floor and the bottom of the cabinet body.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 04-06-07 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Added second paragraph.
Old 04-06-07, 04:30 PM
B
You said you used base shoe molding? Did you use the same type of cabinets? I am trying to avoid using the design guy. I don't need to since I measured my kitchen myself and my kitchen is beyond simple (real small from 1952)

Old 04-06-07, 04:57 PM
W
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
Cabinets

Unless you are buying store stocked cabinets, you will end up talking to the design guy when you order.

Old 04-06-07, 05:24 PM
B
Yeah I know that, but when I was there a few days ago they wanted to send someone out to measure, etc....I just measured it myself and we will see what happens tommorow...

Old 04-06-07, 05:32 PM
R
I usually don't install any shoe molding here. I take the time to plane or sand the toe kick so it sits flush to the floor. It's typically only 1/4" (although the last was 3/4"!)

Old 04-06-07, 05:42 PM
B
but I would still have to install toe kick correct? and looking at the cabinets catalog I dont see an option for toe kick. I guess its same to assume that home depot will be able to order that for me

Old 04-06-07, 05:55 PM
R
I never buy cabinets from HD but all my suppliers automatically include it in every order I place

Old 04-07-07, 06:38 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Brian - I've ordered Kraftmaid and Thomasville from HD. Both cabinet makers provided toe kick boards. In the case of Kraftmaid they were 1/8" thick skin finished to match the cabinet glaze.
They were wide enough to be scribed as Rockpro suggested. I just never thought of doing that. I just ripped them to fit and covered any small gaps with base shoe.
I guess that's the difference between DIY and pros.

I don't know if I was just lucky, but I've done 2 kitchens using HD design guys and had zero problems with them. Not always the case when dealing with big boxes. The design guy we used in the first install actually saved us over a grand by calling the factory and getting their latest discount and by talking us out of buying some of their overpriced extras.

Old 04-07-07, 09:31 AM
T
Height of toe kick area can vary among manufacturers. Each manufacturer has toe kick cover available to cover cover the gabs between cabinets. If flooring covering was installed to the wall beneath cabinets before their installation, you will not need quarter round or shoe molding. These are used if vinyl is installed after cabinets and is used to hold the vinyl edge down. It's a good idea to get the dealer to measure your kitchen to double check your measurements. Measuring is usually at no charge. It's always good to have some additional input on the layout.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: