help with durock install

Old 04-09-07, 05:31 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
help with durock install

hi

i am redoing a neo-angle shower unit with durock (I have never done this before).

the shower stall is made up of 4 walls and an opening that has a shower door. where the side-wall meets the door opening, there is an angle (i am guessing 30 degrees or so).

i don't know how to make the corner with durock.

at this point, i have the two walls durocked. one wall ends in a cut end and the other door opening ends in a seam joint.

do i use corner bead on this joint? do they have to be perfectly flush (i think right now the seam joint stands a little proud of the cut panel).

any advice welcome as i have no experience with durock and only a tiny amount with regular drywall.

Old 04-10-07, 05:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I am assuming you will be tiling the walls after you get them installed. Corner bead won't be necessary, since the rigidity of the tiles will overlap each other on your install. Just make sure any outside corner you make is plumb and square, as your tile will be. You are attaching the durock to framing members, right?

Old 04-11-07, 07:47 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
yes, i am installing tile over the cbu.

how do i make sure the outside corner is plumb? does this have to do with how i fill the joint or does it have more to do with the framing?

if it has to do with the framing, i didn't check if it was plumb before i put up the cbu. i am just hoping it is.

as a side note, do you know how to make "fat" mud? i need to make it to form the substrate for the tile that is going on the floor.

thanks

Old 04-11-07, 02:57 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Robert

Fat mud is the same as bagged "mortar mix". Its typically 1 part portland cement, 1 part lime and 4 parts sand. You can buy the mortar mix and not have to do anything except mix with water.

I question whether fat mud is what you really want. Fat mud is for walls, curbs etc. Deck mud is used on floors. Its a mix of 1 part portland cement and 4 to 5 parts sand. If you are doing a mud floor, deck mud, not fat mud is what you want.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: