Possible water damage on floor?

Old 04-10-07, 12:45 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Possible water damage on floor?

I'm planning a potential remodel on a small upstairs bathroom of a 1989 condo. The floor is vinyl, and the shower stall is right next to the toilet. I don't know how the plumbing is laid out, but I've noticed what seems to be a trail underneath the floor between the toilet and shower, and I'm guessing that there's a water leak underneath somewhere. The vinyl is basically popped-up around this trail, although it's not large (perhaps 1/4 - 1/2-inch thick). I can't press down on this area, but maybe it's something that's occurred over time and it's just become that way.

Could this indeed be a leak of some sort, or perhaps just improperly installed vinyl flooring?

Old 04-10-07, 05:41 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You will not know for sure what is going on beneath the vinyl until you remove it. It is not clear what you mean by 'trail.' Improperly installed underlayment, improper or lack of sealing of seams, and movement of underlayment at the seam can cause vinyl to pop up along seam.

Water follows the path of least resistance. Water that has escaped from shower and gotten beneath vinyl could also create problems with vinyl. Plumbing leaks can also cause problems beneath vinyl.

Old 04-10-07, 06:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It sounds as if you have had a small leak, and one ply of the plywood subflooring has buckled up along its grain. It would be very difficult to press it back down, as you indicate. As Twelvepole stated, you will have a difficult time making sure until you do exploratory surgery. Don't worry, unless you plan on installing vinyl during your remodel, you will probably over lay it with a concrete backer underlayment anyway, so any defects you find in the floor, now, will be corrected during your remodel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: