Range Hood without Cabinets

Old 04-11-07, 06:51 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Range Hood without Cabinets

I just purchased a home and there is a range hood above the stove. This is a range hood that typically gets installed under a cabinet. My problem is, the previous owners attached it to the back wall, but since there is no cabinet, they used ugly, thick metal welded chains to reinforces it and the chains hang from the ceiling!!! It is very bad and needs to be taken care of immediately. The issue is, we don't want to buy new cabinets just yet, so how can we reinforce this range hood and get rid of the big ugly chains hanging from the ceiling? Is there some sort of shelving until that we can attach above the hood and attach it to that?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-07, 07:18 AM
T
Range hood can be attached to a shelf, although attaching to cabinet is usuallly what's done. Shelf needs to be able to handle the weight of the attached range hood. This may be the challenge, as range hood normally sits flush against the wall and the cabinets on either side. Depending on construction of cabinets, perhaps pre-drilling shelf and cabinets and installing screws through cabinets and into sides of shelf would work. If stove is free-standing with not cabinets above, perhaps a shelf supported by corbels placed to either side of the rangehood would work.

Old 04-11-07, 07:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
Since range hoods are 30" wide, the best sort of "shelving" you could get to go above the hood would be a cabinet. You'd probably want a W3015, a wall cabinet that is 30" wide, 15" tall. You can get cheapo melamine cabinets that are ready to assemble yourself and are fairly inexpensive. Once you screw the cabinet to the wall studs (provided you HAVE wall studs back there!) you will then be able to screw the hood to the cabinet.

You can always reuse the cabinet somewhere else once you're finished with it in the kitchen. I'd be happy to put it up in my garage!

Twelvepole's suggestion about the shelf, side corbels would work well too!

Old 04-11-07, 08:33 AM
N
Red face Thank You!

Thanks so much to both of you. The stove is a slide in and there are cabinets on each side of the stove on the bootom, but nothing on the wall above. It's a cute house, but what an odd kitchen! So, I found this microwave shelf that is intented to hang on the wall to free up counter space, The image on the website shows it supporting a nice sized microwave, so I am thinking this may do. To see what I am talking about, you can go to http://www.kraftmaid.com/storage/index.cfm?navigationid=43X00a&harmonyid=148 Now, the issue may still eb the same, that this shelf, liek the hood, needs to be attached to cabinets...

Old 04-12-07, 07:59 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Hood

If your hood has a vented exhaust, you will need to accomodate the duct by cutting the shelf or cabinet. Don't forget the electrical supply to the hood. Good luck with yor project.