Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Old 04-11-07, 01:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Doing a remodel of my bathroom. I'm going to install a exhaust fan. There is a roof vent in the attic that is failry close to the bathroom.
I have 2 Questions:
1.) What is considered a proper exhaust tube?
2.) Does it have to be connected directly to the roof vent? I was told most people run the exhaust all the way up to the roof vent and hang it off a roof joist (not sealing it directly to the vent).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-07, 03:35 PM
It should vent outside of the attic, but that does not mean it has to be a roof vent. The shortest route with the fewest bends is the best, and it should be rigid metal duct, aluminum is OK here. if it is a long run, it should be insulated to reduce condensation. Not sure what you mean in #2. The duct needs to be supported, which keeps it from falling apart. I never use screws(holdover from doing dryer ducts). I use metallic(aluminum) tape at any place there can be air leakage and at joints.

Old 04-11-07, 06:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Where you don't have the extremes of cold as you guys do up north, an acceptable way of venting bathrooms is to run the vent tubing into the attic to a level where it will be cross ventilated by either gable vents or from soffit/ridge vents. The duct is attached directly to a wood member and left there. I absolutely would not recommend this in a colder climate, as the warm air in the cold attic will cause a bad hair day.

Old 04-12-07, 07:54 AM
So the exhaust has to be vented directly to the outside of the house. Can I use an existing roof vent (I have a standard A frame roof with 2 vents)? Or would I need to create a new one specifically for this function?

Old 04-12-07, 10:42 AM
You don't want to use an existing roof vent that is part of your homes DWV system. That vent should remain dedicated to venting the plumbing system.

You don't want to vent warm, moist air into a cold attic. Condensation will lead to problems.

I would expect that if you had two bathroom vents tied together with one outlet, if one fan was on while the other was off you might vent from one bath to the other. It probably depends where the tie in is located.

Old 04-22-07, 07:00 PM
I live in upstate NY where it does get cold, I have a bathroom that doesnot have a bathroom vent. It does have a sky light that is open during warmer weather but that does not help my problem during the winter.

I too have been thinking about installing an exhaust fan but from what I have read I need to vent outside. My problem is I have a slate roof so that will be costly to facillitate.

Any other suggestions??

Mark_ms

Old 04-22-07, 07:13 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Start looking horizontally. You may be able to run it out a gable end and exit the siding, rather than the roof. I don't recommend cutting into a perfectly good roof that isn't leaking to give it a place to leak later. Go sideways.

Old 05-25-07, 10:13 AM
Two fans one vent

Have a bathroom that I am remodeling. It has a small room for the toilet with a door. That room has an exhaust fan. I wanted to run a second fan from the shower area along with the one from the toilet room to the same vent. Is that a good idea or will it creates issues.

Old 05-25-07, 02:25 PM
You just have to make sure that the exhaust duct is rated for both those fans cfm together.