Leaky tub surround...

Old 04-12-07, 12:00 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaky tub surround...

I just purchased a house in which the tile surround in the master bath is leaking. The last owner had tried to reseal it but had no luck stopping the leak. We move in the 31st of May and are looking for a temporary fix till we get settled in.
The water seems to be seeping through pourous grout or small cracks in the grout. Should I regrout it then seal it, or is there a sealer that will fill in these gaps?

Old 04-12-07, 12:30 PM
R
If water is leaking through the grout, it should be removed and replaced. I find it is difficult sometimes to find the exact cause of a leak. You can carefully inspect the grout for holes and gaps but if they aren't in evidence consider another source for the leak.

Old 04-12-07, 01:00 PM
B
Not being in the house yet, it is a wait and see thing. Is it a hard job to remove the grout? How do you go about doing it?

Old 04-12-07, 06:20 PM
R
Frankly, I find it to be a pain in the neck so I don't offer this service in my business. It is, however, a good DIY job. Get a grout saw (a little tool with a handle and a ridged blade - about $5.00) Now scrape it in the grout joints and it will cut out the grout. You don't have to get it all out...about half way or two thirds will do. Clean up, wipe down the tile and install new grout -
unsanded for joints 1/8" and less, sanded for wider joints.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: