Laminate vs Oak Countertops

Old 04-23-07, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laminate vs Oak Countertops

I am debating on installing countertops myself or having them professionally installed. IKEA has oak countertops which cost $437 (Canadian or roughly $350 US). I can get a laminate countertop at RONA for $480 (roughly $385 US). It would cost $250 (roughly $200 US) for installation.

What would be the more durable countertop, laminate or Oak?

With the oak countertops I would just butt the pieces together. I would cut them to size with a circular saw. There would be three pieces in total. I would just have to cut the sink hole with a jigsaw.

With laminate countertops I have to use a special circular sawblade. Installation myself would not be a good idea.

I like the fake granite look on countertops but I also like the look of oak.

Anyone have any comments on IKEA's countertops?

Your input is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-07, 11:50 AM
I have made the decision to do half and half. I have an L shaped counter and a counter across the room along the wall that is sort of an island. I will have the L shaped professionally installed with a laminate. I will install an Oak countertop on the island from IKEA myself. The island is 56 inches long. The shortest useful counter from IKEA is 73.25 inches. I would let the counter extend 14-17 (depends on overhang) more inches and put legs or some sort of support on the end. Then I could turf the microwave cart.

Old 04-24-07, 12:25 PM
T
Sounds like you have a plan. A different counter surface on island will mix surfaces up and make them more interesting. The standard overhang is 11 inches. With a 36" deep slab and 1" overhang in front, this will work out just right. You can add additional support to counter by installing wooden corbels in a finish to match your cabinets.

Old 04-25-07, 06:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
something to think about

As much as I like oak it isn't the best choice of countertop material in a kitchen. The only protection it has against water and food preperation is the finish applied to it. Tile and solid surface materials make for a more durable kitchen counter top.

Old 04-26-07, 07:53 PM
IKEA has three woods to choose from: Beech, Birch, and Oak. All are hardwoods and have the same price of $159 (Canadian) for a 6 foot by 25 inch slab. I noticed that oak is the only wood they keep in stock. The other two woods have to be specially ordered.

Of the three woods, what would be the best choice for an island countertop? They are all the same price. I really want the one countertop to be in wood. The countertop would not be exposed to water. IKEA sells a wood treatment. Oiling the countertop once or twice a year would not be a big deal.

Thank you for your input

Old 04-27-07, 07:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
They stock oak because it is the most popular. I would chose the wood based on what would go best with the surrounding decor.