Some renovation questions

Old 05-23-07, 12:56 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some renovation questions

We just purchased a home that is about 55 years old and in need of some repairs.

There is only one small bathroom, with room just enough for the tub, small sink and toilet.

Anyways, right now it has some nasty mint green ceramic tiles and peachy/pink colored bathtub. First we wanted to do one of those bathfitter deals and just get a built in put overtop, but then realized the ceramic tile goes halfway up the wall around the whole bathroom. Someone then suggested to us that we could either A) Paint the tile or B) put new tile over the old stuff. My first question is Are both of these doable and which one would be better/recommended.

My second question is about the tub itself. I read somewhere about "refinishing" the bathtub - basically like some special kind of paint. Does this exist?

Any tub recommendations? I was thinking about replacing it altogether but then that would create issues with the tiles and it's just not an option to take them down (way too much work).

Old 05-23-07, 01:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
I'm not a tile man but I've never heard of anyone installing new tile on top of old. There is a special paint designed for painting tile but it doesn't have a good track record. The same goes for tub paint. 90% of all diy tub refinishing fail, mostly due to improper or lack of prep. Profesionally refinished tubs/sinks usually look and wear well.

Fixing up older homes ALWAYS requires a lot of work. Either you diy and save on labor costs or you work overtime to pay someone else to do the work

Old 05-23-07, 04:10 PM
J
I tend to agree, quick fixes are often quick to fix the problem and quick to fade. There are quickie bath remodeling outfits, but the results don't last much longer.

You can tile over tile, but it is not a recommended procedure for a new DIY.

If you just bought the house, do it right, you will be there for a while. Rip it all out, maybe enlarge, and do it the way you want it, no something that is not a stopgap measure.

Old 05-24-07, 07:17 AM
J
Thanks for your responses.

I think what we've decided to do is leave the ugly tub and tile the way it is for now, and just put in a new vanity and toilet. Then when we are really ready, we'll replace the whole bathtub and do new tile at the same time.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: