re-seal shower door?

Old 05-29-07, 07:52 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
re-seal shower door?

I have a fiberglass shower stall with glass door. Right where the shower door is sealed into the side of the stall there is mold behind the seal. Can I remove the seal, clean it, and then re-seal it? What do I use for the re-sealing?
TIA for any help.

Old 05-29-07, 02:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ive never done this, but the concepts of sealing are generally the same.

Clean out the old sealant and make sure you clean up the mold using bleach or similar chemical. Once this has been done and is dry again, use a silicon type caulk and seal the edges again. The caulking is usually found in the paint dept. of home centers and usually is labeled "Kitchen and bathroom".

Old 05-30-07, 09:22 PM
T
tip

good basic advice. one key is to make sure the area is absolutely bone dry before applying the clear silicone sealer. blow dry it if you have to.

Old 06-04-07, 08:47 PM
G
Talking re-build it..imho

if its a basic door you can take the door apart piece by piece screw by screw about six screws total and clean all parts of door and tub then reseal like new a needed... very easy to put back together as the holes are already drilled in the tub/stall for you also put a bit of silicon on the screws when replacing to make sure tight fit...
ps ...go to the store and get some stainless steel screws when putting it back together the factory screws are junk... good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: