adding a basement bathroom - I hope. ;)

Old 06-01-07, 02:14 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up adding a basement bathroom - I hope. ;)

Hi all! I've really been enjoying reading your forums today. Lots of helpful advice!

I bought my house 3 years ago and have been becoming more and more of a do-it-yourselfer ever since. I've done framing and drywall, some plumbing, a tad bit of electrical, etc. Now I think I'm about to take on my biggest project yet - I want to put a full bathroom in my basement for some tenants I am renting the basement to in a few months.

Good news is that where I want it has a hot and cold water pipe already sticking down from the ceiling on that block wall. I assume they work, but do not know for sure. (Maybe someone started this, and then quit...?) There is also a drain pipe (new PVC) along that same wall, that goes from the kitchen sink (first floor) to the main drain out to the street. Naturally, it runs at an angle.

So in theory - I'm all set. I think I want to buy a basic pedestal sink from home depot, as well as some kind of an all-inclusive shower kit. (like this, I suppose: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=145863-7-N13190A-38SW&lpage=none ) Also on my shopping list is the Saniflo upflush toilet, which I've been reading a bit about in your forums. I should be able to sit this sucker down, run the existing water line to it, and connect it's drain to the pvc pipe that runs right down that wall..... right? (I know the shower will have to be slightly raised to allow the water to drain to the toilet pump.) I plan to get the extender and hide the pump behind the wall, with the water lines.

I don't know much about that toilet system... can I connect it to a slightly angled/horizontal pvc drain pipe? What keeps the kitchen sink water from running down the toilet pipe as it passes by? I assume there is some kind of valve that'll solve this? Can I just slice into that existing pvc drain pipe and hook the toilet in?

Any thoughts on ANY of the above would be greatly appreciated. Is there a better place to get a basic, inexpensive shower kit? Best brand? How about a basic sink?

This is for tenants, so I want basic basic basic.

Thanks so much for sharing your input. Any and all thoughts are welcome.

ps. do I need to get permits to do this? off the record.... what if I don't? Can it come back to haunt me when I sell the house?

Thanks!

Old 06-02-07, 08:10 AM
It can come back to haunt you if you don't have permits. I say this from experience. We did our own basement finish (permitted) and the buyer's inspector called us on it claiming nothing was to code (the inspector was a few tacos short of a combo platter...). Had we not had the final sign off sheet from the county, we would have been up an unsanitary tributary with the sale, our realtor, and possibly the county if someone had decided to blow the whistle. I've heard of folks having to completely tear down drywall to prove the framing, plumbing, wiring, mechanical is to code. If you get caught, it'll most likely be more expensive to remedy the situation than it was to get the permit in the first place.

Just my experience.... I have known plenty of folks who did things under the radar and gotten away with it.

Old 06-04-07, 11:27 AM
G
Wow - thanks for the info. Unfortunately, it's probably much too late for me on that. I've already taken out a wall, remodeled just about everything, and expanded the master bath with a garden tub and new double sinks -- all of that plumbing I did myself. So if I'm going to get called out on doing it myself, I'm probably already screwed.

Any pearls of wisdom on the upflush toilet, or the general idea of putting the bathroom in the basement? I saw a nice little sink kit at Home Depot this weekend with the cabinet, sink, and mirror for $199.... not too shabby!

I'm leaning towards not putting the shower down there.... but I might change my mind tomorrow.

Any and all inpout, even if it's just a thought, would be greatly appreciated. As your thought is probably something I haven't thought of.

Thanks!

Old 06-17-07, 09:38 AM
I too have researching abasement bath for awhile (gunna be next springs project most likely) and I'm not nearly as luck as you are with a good set up to start with) but one thing I found was toilet that has been built for basement hook ups that basically has a little grinder in them and a pump to dispose of the waste in hard to fit situations. They are a expensive but they solve alot of problems. Should also mention that you wont find them at the big box super stores...you'll have to check with local plumbing specility stores (which I prefer working with to begin with).

As for the code/inspeciton stuffa get a digital camera and take pictures of everything. I'm a welder/iron worker and even pics with a cel phone have gotten me a pass on inspecions when other trades come and cover my work before the inspections (they will grumble about it but a little charm and a reminder of how much work it is to uncover everything can go along way with many (but not all) of them. Though it's too late for your past projects document it all on your current and future ones.

Old 06-19-07, 07:36 AM
G
Thumbs up

"toilet that has been built for basement hook ups that basically has a little grinder in them and a pump to dispose of the waste in hard to fit situations. They are a expensive but they solve alot of problems."

Yup, that's exactly what I'm thinking I need. http://www.upflushtoilet.com/ That is, unless someone here tells me "NO! don't do it!" with some good reasoning.

My project has been pushed back slightly -- tenant moves in in September so I plan to do it in August.

Thanks for the tips about the photos - I will do that. I should have done that anyway -- It's good to take photos of where wires and pipes are behind walls so when you need to know, you don't have to tear down drywall to figure it out. Thanks!!!!!

Old 07-20-07, 09:25 AM
G
Well, so much for the "do it yourself" part of my idea. I've decided to hire this out. After reading up on some more code requirements for a basement bathroom, I was afraid I was going to shoot myself in the foot..... so I've hired someone to do the work for me.

...but I am still going with the upflush toilet. I ordered it last night.

Thanks for all the input everyone!! Appreciate it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: