Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

If I remove bathroom wall tile can I venetian plaster?

If I remove bathroom wall tile can I venetian plaster?

Old 06-05-07, 02:51 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face If I remove bathroom wall tile can I venetian plaster?

Hello,

We have OLD 4"x4" tile covering all walls and ceiling of our bathroom. The previous owners had painted it but the paint was peeling, so I started trying to strip them to repaint. I now see there are layers and layers of paint--it is a very time-consuming process, and a quarter of the way into it I realize that it is not worth it anymore. Is it possible to remove the tiles and then use venetian plaster to cover the wall? How much of the tile adhesive should I remove, should I sand it all the way down to make the wall smooth? Also, what sort of primer product should I apply to the wall before I plaster?

Thanks very much. I would very much like to surprise my husband with a finished bathroom when he's away next week!

Old 06-05-07, 03:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That depends on how the tile was originally installed. If it was a mud base, usually thick cement over wire lath, VERY DIFFICULT to remove the tile. If it was over drywall or backer board, maybe, but you will likely damage drywall considerably getting it off. The best way is to tear everything out and start over, but that is a lot of work, if you are up to it. I have never been able to figure out why people paint tile, it doesn't work, or works poorly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: