Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Doing a new floor in bathroom- going from vinyl to tile

Old 06-10-07, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am attempting to tile a bathroom in my house. It previously had vinyl on it. The builders put an underlying wood floor under the vinyl to make it match the height of the adjoining carpet at the threshold. I have run into the problem of the tiled floor being too high at the junction with the carpet. What can I do to make this junction more even? I have been told that I can chisle the wood away from the cabinets and the take it up. This sounds dangerous as far as ruining the floor and very complicated. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-07, 02:41 PM
remove the plywood subfloor before tile if you want it level with the other floor. If the cabinets are installed over the subfloor, it may be a pain and you may need to remove the cabinets to do-it-right.

Old 06-10-07, 03:26 PM
Yes, you need to remove the underlayment and vinyl. I use a small wood blade on my angle grinder to cut along the cabinets, but it's REALLY dangerous so I go very slowly and carefully. I've seen saws made for that sort of thing, but I don't have one and make do with what I have. You may be able to rent one. If you end up a little bit away from the toe kick when you're through cutting, it's OK. Put your concrete board up to it and fill in the small gap with thinset. You won't be stepping on that area and your tile should be mostly on the concrete board any how.

By the way, the builder didn't put that underlayment down to match the carpet height, if he knew what he was doing. I suppose that could have been his reason, in which case he did the right thing, but for the wrong reason. Full spread glued sheet vinyl, in most instances, when going over wood, must have an underlayment under it. It will take some explaining to tell you why and I don't want to bore you with details, but, suffice it to say, it has nothing to do with carpet height and the vinyl manufacturer will normally not warrant their material unless it has an "approved for vinyl" underlayment.