tile in shower

Old 06-10-07, 06:29 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question tile in shower

I took on the ambitious task of tilling my shower (stall shower no tube) having never installed tile before and now I am wishing I had not attempted this, too late to turn back now so here are a few questions.

1. I used some 12"x18" tile (turned horizontal) and some 12"x12" tile, during installation I noticed that the 12"x18" tile was not very flat so that no matter what I did the center of the tile would stand up off the wall. To make matters worse the 18" tile alternates with the 12" tile so that there is an 18" tile just above very 12" tile. The 12" tile lays flat but the 18" piece stands off the wall so that it protrudes farther than the 12" tile. What can be done about this? Is it normal that the larger tile is not as flat as smaller tile?

2. I have a band of accent pieces (4"x12") and one of them apparently did not get set correctly so that now one end is loose. If I push on it the tile will move. Should this piece be removed and re-set? If so how do I go about removing it?

3. Along one wall of the shower the tile meets sheetrock at a 90deg outside corner, how do I make this transition? I have already set the tile and it seems fine, I am more concerned with the sheetrock. Should I use some sheetrock tape or some of that metal corner trim on that corner? This particular corner is very much out of the way and will not need protection from damage I just need to know how to make the transition from tile to sheetrock and make it look good.

4. Along another wall the tile meets with sheetrock in the middle of the all, not a corner. How do I make this transition? Basically its just a flat wall with one half being tile and the other being tile and I am not sure what to do to make this a smooth transition. This transition is much more noticable than the other one mentioned in item 3 so I really want to make it look good.

Thanks for any advice.

Sam

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-07, 08:43 PM
S
Sam, I'm having trouble envisioning this. Are you saying these tiles are actually bulged out in the middle? If you lay one on a counter top, does it lay flat or do the edges touch the counter top and the center not? Any chance of some pictures? One thing I would like to ask, is this tile mounted straight to sheet rock?

Old 06-11-07, 04:45 AM
S
Your descpription of the tile is correct, if I were to lay the tile on the counter the four corners would touch but the center of the tile would bulge. I used a Schluter shower kit so the walls are 2x4 studs, hardiboard, the schluter waterproof membrane and then the tile.

I might be able to get some pics, how do I post them?

Old 06-11-07, 08:17 AM
S
1) That's weird. The only time I've seen tiles like that were hand made ones and it was a real pain installing them. I had to apply thinset to the tile and wall both with the notched trowel and put them on, mess with them, pull them off and scrape off thinset or apply more as needed until they were right. Commercially produced tiles shouldn't be like that unless they're seconds or something like that. Have you lain one on a counter top to verify this is what you've got going on? Sometimes, if proper attention isn't paid from the studs out, the wall can look flat when it really isn't. Those sort of tiles can span low spots, or sit on them, sort of like a teeter totter, and give the impression they're warped like that.

2) Photo bucket is what most use here.

Old 06-11-07, 11:06 AM
S
I will try to get some pics tonight but all I have is the camera on my phone so might not be the best quality.

While installing the tile I layed one down on the floor to check for flatness (after noticing the problem while installing a few on the wall already). When laying with the back of the file on the floor it would not "teeter totter" but when I turned it over and put the face of the tile on the floor it would wobble when I pressed on the outside edges of the tile.

Old 06-11-07, 03:29 PM
S
That's to be expected in several different styles of tile. The wear surface is often not flat due to design and desired appearance. The back is the critical part because that's the surface being glued and needs to be flat. Since your test turned out the way you describe, it sounds as if the problem is not in the tile but rather the wall. Did you check the wall for flatness before putting up your tile? Those 18 inch tiles are not at all forgiving of rolly polly walls.

Old 06-11-07, 06:38 PM
S
photos uploaded

Unfortunately I did not test the walls for flatness before installing the tile but I cannot imagine the wall causing the tile to bulge in this manner because each tile is bulging indepent of the other tiles. Its not as if all the tile on a wall are bulging in a constant or consistent manner, each of the 18" tile (some more than others) are bulging individually independent of the other tile. Also if it were the wall I would expect the 12" tile to also bulge but the 12" tile looks fine.

Here are some pics of how the tile is bulging.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x91/samsteeley/Bulgingtile01.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x91/samsteeley/Bulgingtile02.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x91/samsteeley/Bulgingtile03.jpg

And here are some pics of the transition from tile to sheetrock.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x91/samsteeley/Tiletowall01.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x91/samsteeley/Tiletowall02.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x91/samsteeley/Tiletowall03.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x91/samsteeley/Tiletowall04.jpg

Thanks for your help

Sam

Old 06-12-07, 07:14 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
It sounds to me like you simply got a bad batch of tile. Looking at the pictures, it looks they the warpage is pretty bad. Just because the tile is big doesnt mean that it shouldnt lay flat. If the tile is bowed up in the middle, theres little to nothing you can do to avoid lippage. I know its to late now but you should have checked this ahead of time and returned the defective tile. Ive seen warped tile a number of times before so one of the first things I do is check them before any tile gets set. Look at a couple of tiles from each box. If they are bad, they get returned cause nothing I can do with them will make the homeowner happy. If you bought them from a reputable tile store you may want to call them to see if they'll do anything for you. Maybe not since they are already installed. Sorry I cant be more help.

Old 06-12-07, 08:07 AM
S
Now what?

Actually that was a lot of help, having confirmation that I have screwed up is better than wondering if I screwed up.

I have printed these photos and will be stopping by Lowes this evening, doubt they are going to be much help though.

So what are my options at this point?
Is the lippage a purely asthetic problem or does this present a potential water leak issue or structural issue?
If the tile needs to be removed and replaced what are the proper steps in doing that?

At this point I am seriouslyconsidering removing all the tile and hiring someone to install all new tile. Obviously that will greatly increase the cost of this project but it really needs to be done right and at this point I do not trust myself to get it done correctly.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Old 06-12-07, 09:15 AM
H
Sam

Yes its purely asthetics. If I understand you correctly, you have a kerdi shower. If you can live with the lippage look its not gonna hurt anything. Grout wont make it disappear but it will certainly make it look better than it does now. Removing all that tile will make a mess of the kerdi.

Old 06-12-07, 09:19 AM
H
An afterthougt. If your going back to lowes. Take some of the left over 12 x 18 tile with you to show them how it is bowed in the middle and when put next to the 12 x 12 you have this lippage issue. I think that if they can see it like that, they may be inclinded to do something for you. Just what Im not sure though.

Old 06-13-07, 07:08 AM
H
How did you make out at Lowes?

Old 06-13-07, 12:18 PM
M
Removing broken screws

I have a screw in ceramic tile that broke off that is flush with the tile. The screw is in a plastic anchor. Anyone out there know how I can remove it without breaking the tile?

Old 06-13-07, 12:31 PM
H
Cut the end of the plastic anchor that sits over the face of the tile off with a utility knife or other sharp knife. Take your time and dont scratch the tile. Once youve done that, knock the anchor and screw though the wall with a nail set. Tap the snapped screw gently and it should go. Its a good idea to start your own thread for a new question like this. Good luck.

Old 06-13-07, 12:57 PM
M
Thanks

Thank you very much.....I would have but I just registered and didn't know how.

Old 06-13-07, 12:58 PM
S
Lowes seems more than willing to help with this issue, at least they are talking a good game anyway. They pulled a piece of the tile off the shelf and verified that what I had described about the tile was true (that they are warped and not laying flat), called the mfg and I am pretty much a shoe in for getting a refund on the material. The flooring manager at lowes said where the battle comes is when they (lowes) requests that the mfg also reimburse me for labor to install and remove the tile. I am eager to see how it all plays out, if I get a refund on the material and compensation for installation I will be financially happy but will still not accomplished what I set out to do, and that is to have a tiled shower. At the end of the day I still want what I originally wanted, a tiled shower. The money will be great but I am still left with a non-functioning shower.

This shower only represents a portion of the renovations I am doing so I think I will take a break and paint instead, and see what happens with the refund.

My next question (most likely another post) would be how to remove the tile without destroying the kerdi waterproof membrane or will that be a loss as well? Or should I go ahead and grout and see how it looks? I am so far along that I cannot see how applying the grout will make things much worse.

Thanks,

Sam

Old 06-13-07, 01:13 PM
H
Removing the tile without destroying the kerdi is not gonna happen. Theres ways to patch kerdi if your removing a tile or two but for the entire shower it'll be a total redo. I agree that grouting at this stage other than the cost of the grout and your time cant hurt. Maybe a happy compromise is to grout it, see how it looks and if you can live with it and at the same time get a refund on the material from lowes then it wont be so bad.