Rebuilding and reusing kitchen cabinets

Old 06-13-07, 11:24 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding and reusing kitchen cabinets

We currently have a bank of cabinets that separate the kitchen from the dining room. This unit is rougly 6' long by 30" deep, and have cabinets on both sides (18" deep on one side and 12" deep on the other). We are removing these cabinets during our upcoming remodel. We are also putting a stair case, with a half wall, to the basement in the kitchen. Along the half wall, we are planning for a future set of cabinets (can't afford to put them in right now). The future cabs will be 10' long by 13.5" deep.

We had planned on leaving the new cabinet space empty, and giving the old cabinets to the local Second Use. I started to think that maybe I could rebuild the cabinets to fill part of the new cabinet area at least temporarily. They would certainly match the remaining cabinets. This would require removing the top (corian-like stuff that I have cut before), cutting apart the two sides, removing 4.5" from the deeper side, and replacing the salvaged "back" (what was the separator between the two sides).

This would not fill the entire 10', but it would give us cabinets for now. It is possible I could even fill the rest of the area with the doors from the 12" side, and some facing from the cook-top enclosure that we are also losing.

Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Am I crazy? I figure, what have I got to lose? I am going to chuck the cabinets anyway.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-07, 05:02 PM
M
While your cutting

Could you splice some of the cut off onto the 12" cabinets? You could wind up with 12'. OR, could you alternate the 13.5" with a 12" - screwed together through the front to keep them "solid"? The depth would be weird when you actually open them, but...
Other than the accurate side cuts, it sounds doable to me ( but what do I know?) Good Luck.

Old 06-14-07, 05:23 PM
T
"We had planned on leaving the new cabinet space empty, and giving the old cabinets to the local Second Use." This is the way to go. Get rid of existing cabinets and get new to replace. If budget is an issue, there are lower cost cabinets and counters available. Think in terms of resale. You will not be able to match existing cabinets or counters. Every four years or so, everything changes. Think in terms of resale.

Old 06-14-07, 07:35 PM
Hubby has seen alot of remodels in his job and says that re-used items in remodels look like, well, re-used items in a remodel. They stand out like a sore thumb. Despite both of us wanting to reuse everything possible to save $$ and avoid filling the dumpster/landfill in our remodel, he is dissuading us from reusing any items next to new items, unless the point is to accentuate the old next to the new. Donate the old cabinets to the local charity or maybe reuse the cabinets in a garage or laundry room where you don't notice brand new next to recycled.

Old 06-14-07, 10:53 PM
J
Thanks for all the feedback. As a clarification, these are not meant to be a replacement for new cabinets. They are a "get us by." We already are leaving a number of things to be done (I am taking on building our deck, tiling our shower, all the painting, and I still don't have budget to put in the carpet). Another "new" item is just unrealistic. In a year or two, maybe. Until then, it seems hard to justify tossing one set of cabinets, and living without the other. On top of this, we are losing about 70% of our counter "prep" space, and it would be nice to have somewhere to set something down.

I like the idea of making the faces match, even if the depths don't.

Thanks again!