Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Can I cut tile back splash with carbide blade/bit?

Old 06-26-07, 07:54 AM
W
wgc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to install an additional electrical outlet in the kitchen where there is a 4.25" ceramic tile backsplash. Is there a reasonable way to cut a hole?

When I did the other counter, there were no outlets at all, so:
- I used a group knife, hammer taps and some prying to pop out a tile
- used a carbide blade on my saber saw to cut the cement backer board
- used a masonry bit to drill holes in the concrete block wall behind
- and installed a surface mount two gang box with outlets.
- the face plate exactly covered the gap from the removed tile (ok, I need a line of sealant pretending to be grout since I didn't get it exactly centered, but close enough)

I was willing to try since this was an inconspicuous area partly hidden by appliances and cabinets, but was really surprised that it all worked. One thing I noticed was that I ran over slightly with the saw and the carbide blade cut into the next tile (1/8") without shattering it.

This counter already has an electrical receptacle on one end and it is NOT lined up with a tile. If I want them to look even, I can't just pop out a tile. So, is it reasonable to expect to be able to cut a hole large enough for a single gang receptacle across the middle of two tiles without shattering either one? I have my masonry bit and carbide saber saw blade (both are cheap enough to be burned up): are those likely up to the task? Does anyone have any advice or suggestions how to do this?

Old 06-26-07, 12:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Typically requires a Dremel/router type rotary tool with a tile bit. You start by drilling a pilot hole in the corners of the cut then follow it with the Dremel.

Tape off the cut lines with maskentape. I would start from the outside going towards to grout to prevent cracking.

I would think a saber saw would vibrate to much causing the tile to damage.

Old 06-29-07, 07:42 AM
H
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A rotary tool with a tile bit will work on the soft ceramic tiles but youll burn the bit up and get nowhere if the tile is porcelain. If the rotary tool doesnt work, you can use an angle grinder with a wet dry diamond blade. You may have to overcut the corners a little but the outlet cover will hide the overcuts.

Old 06-29-07, 11:12 AM
W
wgc
waiting for Christmas

Thanks guys. I'm putting this back on the end of the to-do list with a suggestion that if my wife really wants this, one of those rotary tools would be a very handy gift idea.

I don't think it's porcelain but I'll keep that in mind when that project works its way back to the top of the list

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: