Removing wall tile over brick

Old 07-09-07, 09:40 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing wall tile over brick

I'm trying to remove some kitchen wall tile that is on an exterior brick wall.

I've tried cutting out the grout with a dremel tool and using a chisel and prybar, but I haven't had much luck. The glazed facing of the tile will come off, but the body of the tile is well adhered to the wall itself.

I've thought about using a diamond blade on a grinder or circular saw to cut through the tile and grout to try and chip away the rest. Then maybe take a grinder with with a steel brush attachment and work off the remaining tile pieces and grout.

I'm hesitant to use an air chisel or something similar because I don't want to start punching holes in the brick or weakening the wall.

Anyone have any experience or advice in this area?

Old 07-09-07, 02:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you have access to a good air supply, you could use a muffler removal chisel. It won't do as much damage as a full fledged air hammer, and you may can handle it a little easier, and have better control.
Wouldn't you like to know the brand of thinset that guy used???

Old 07-10-07, 09:58 AM
J
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I'm guessing the thinset is closer to the superglue family.

Old 07-16-07, 09:37 AM
J
In case anyone is trying to do something smilar,

I picked up a 4" diamond blade attachment for a grinder. I cut out the grout around all the tiles. I used a spray bottle to keep the blade cool. Also alternated between the hammer and pry bar and grinder as to not overwork the blade.

Some of the tiles popped off with the pry bar while others took a bit chiselling with the hammer and prybar.

There was a considerable amount of dust. The area must be taped off and well contained to keep it from spreading all over the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: