Thinset thickness

Old 07-09-07, 02:40 PM
C
Received 110 Votes on 85 Posts
Thinset thickness

I just finished tiling a shower with 4" ceramic tile. I used premixed grey thinset put on with a 1/8" notched trowel. Each individual wall tile was back buttered 100% and set with a mallet.
Last night I was discussing the job with a friensd and he said i might have a problem with the tile sticking. He said I should have used a 1/4" trowel. Now I'm concerned. Do I have a problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-07, 02:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You may, since the instructions call for a 1/4" square trowel. But since guys don't read directions, you are forgiven. I hate instruction sheets, too. Did you put any thinset on the walls as well as back buttering the tiles? If you did, you may have a reprieve. Let us know if we can help further.

Old 07-09-07, 05:00 PM
C
Sorry my post was unclear. I put the thinset on the backer board with a 1/8" trowel and then back buttered the tiles. The tiles have shallow ridges on the back.
I've done quite a bit of floor tiles but this is only my second wall job. On the other I used a 1/4" trowel and ended up with a lot of squeeze out and cleanup which is what prompted me to go with the smaller notches.

Instructions are only to be read after you screw it up.

Old 07-10-07, 11:05 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
If you used premixed thinset, you have a bigger problem then trowel size. That stuff is not to be used in wet areas. Its nothing more than mastic with sand added. You need to use real portland cement based thinset that comes in a bag and you mix with water or latex additive. The premixed will take weeks to dry and when it gets wet, it will reimulsify. If you want this to last, take the tile down, wash that goo off and start over.

Old 07-11-07, 08:41 AM
C
It looks like I should have checked here before buying the premixed stuff. It was what the guy at the local big box recommended. I didn't specifically mention shower walls, I just asked what I should get to do bathroom wall tiles.

I've used premix before on floors and vanity countertops without a problem, but had I read the fine print on the container I would have seen the caution about use in wet areas.

Only the shower walls were tiled and they're done so I will probably wait for the tiles to start falling off instead of tearing out the whole project. I bought a dry mortar to finish the bathroom.

Old 07-11-07, 12:40 PM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Give the premixed some extra days to setup before grouting. Grout it with a portland cement based grout that you mix with water or additive. Seal the grout after 72 hours or according to grout and sealer instructions. Keep your fingers crossed. Don't take advice from big box employees unless you want to do the job over again. Good Luck.

Last edited by HeresJohnny; 07-11-07 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added Good Luck
Old 07-11-07, 01:21 PM
C
I went to a tile store where I bought the tile and talked to the guy there. He thought I would probably be OK since I didn't use tile on the shower floor. He said the stuff is really nfg when under standing water. He also recommended waiting at least a week before grouting.