Mills Pride Kitchen Cabinets

Old 07-10-07, 04:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mills Pride Kitchen Cabinets

Due to the expense factor, I am really interested in replacing my run-down kitchen with Mills Pride cabinets. Questions: Will they be able to support a granite countertop?

Hopefully, I'll be able to get full-extension slides. If it is not included, I suppose I will just have to buy the slides and replace. Also, I was kindof disappointed with the on-line selection of cabinets (ie. not available in sizes that other manufacturer's have - like Kraftmaid). I have an appt at Home Depot, and I'm hoping that the "real" selection is better than the on-line selection. Otherwise, I'll have to rethink my options.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-07, 05:10 AM
If you can afford granite, you should be able to get better cabinets. IMHO, those are junk cabinets, builders quality, starter home type.

Old 07-10-07, 06:36 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Cabinets

I agree with Bill. Put your money in good quality cabinets.

Old 07-10-07, 09:26 AM
Could you please explain why they are junk cabinets? Is it the material that they are made of?

b/c pricing out:
Kraftmaid: $6,600
Mills Pride: $2,000 (allowing us to budget granite)

Thanks!

PS. What do you think about getting less expensive cabinets and then putting on more expensive doors????

Old 07-10-07, 09:57 AM
Mills pride will support the granite countertop... but the hardware is cheap - the materials are susceptible to water damage (pressboard) - and the finish won't last nearly as long as your granite.... You get what you pay for.....

I've used Mill's Pride for fix n flips - where initial appearance counts more than long term reliability... but - if it were going in my personal home.... I'd go with the spendier units.... cause sooner or later - you're gonna have to replace them....

Old 07-10-07, 12:22 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Cabinets

If you ask enough questions at the store, you will find many different grades of cabinets. The better one are built from plywood with solid wood fronts, frames, drawers, and doors. Stay away from particle board; a lot of extra weight, but poor quality. Also look at the different grades of drawer slides and hinges. This quality difference exists to some degree within the same brand.

Old 07-10-07, 05:00 PM
Glued particle board boxes, plastic wood grain interiors, glued particle board or plastic drawers, cheap slides, etc. Quality cabinets will have 1/2-3/4 plywood boxes, dovetail hardwood drawers, ball bearing slides, real wood finishes. As suggested above, the cheap cabinets will probably support granite, but they will definitely not outlast it.