Drywall prep for new tile back splash

Old 07-10-07, 01:58 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drywall prep for new tile back splash

My old back splash consisted of one row of 4 inch tiles. I have removed these tiles and am planning to install a new tile back splash that will go up the wall about 18 inches to the bottom of the cabinets.

I was able to remove the old tiles without much damage to the dry wall, but the facing paper on the dry wall came off in some spots. I repaired these areas with drywall joint compound then applied a coat of primer paint over all the drywall that was under the old tiles, thinking this would help seal any areas where the drywall was damaged. The rest of the drywall, that was not covered by the old splashblack but will be tiled over when I do the new one, is in excellent condition with a painted surface.

Now I'm ready to start tiling, but while waiting for my tile order to arrive, thought I would ask for a few opinions. Does the way I have prepped the dry wall sound OK? I've thought about replacing the drywall with either new drywall 1/2 inch wide cement backer board, or installing 1/4 inch wide cement backer board over the old drywall, then tiling onto the backer board. Seems these alternatives are "better" than tiling onto the old drywall but I'm just wondering if it is really necessary to go to the extra work and expense?

Thanks.

Old 07-10-07, 02:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like what you have said would work fine. You really didn't even need to prime the drywall, but it didn't hurt.

People recommend using CBU in places where the tile could see larger amounts of water, i.e. showers, tubs, or if they are using larger size floor tile.

Just remember to caulk where the backsplash meets the countertop and the corners.

Old 07-10-07, 03:46 PM
H
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Prep sounds ok. If the paint is glossy, you can scuff it up with some sand paper.

What kind of tile will you be installing and what is the size of the tile?

For any natural stone tile or large format ceramic tile (bigger than 8" x 8") make sure you use a modified thinset. If your using small ceramic tile, either thinset or mastic is ok.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: