Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Hair line fracture on Counter...I can't believe I did this!!!

Old 07-14-07, 01:59 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi, I needed a flat non-porous surface to iron on computer generated transfers to some t-shirsts. The instruction suggested using laminate tops. So, I cleaned my granite counter top and proceeded to iron on the transfers. Per instruction, I put a pillow case on the counter top and set my iron to high but no steam. My understanding is that you can put hot stuff on granite and this should be OK. After finishing ironing on the t-shirts, I lifted the pillow case covering the counter top and saw a hair-line fracture that extends about 1/3 to 1/2 of the mid of the counter top to the very end of the counter top. How can I fix this???? HELP!!!! THANKS!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-07, 04:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Contrary to other fairy tales, granite is not impervious to heat. You cannot place a hot pan directly on it, as it will either crack or "blister". So, with what you have, it may require replacement. There may be pro's in your area that could better help with the crack, as it definitely is not a DIY project. If we don't learn from our mistakes, we are destined to repeat them. (B. Franklin)
Good luck with it.

Old 07-14-07, 05:53 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would look for a granite countertop installer. They may have a reasonable fix for this although I doubt it would be totally invisible.

bwt, the only countertop I would ever claim to be impervious to heat would be stainless steel. I would not apply high heat to any other top as each of them will react to it to some degree.

Old 07-14-07, 06:25 AM
S
Although I've never installed one of these tops, I've been on the job doing the floors when the granite guys were there and have seen a lot of them broken during installation. When they're done, if the installer is good, you can't tell where the break was. If it's a major piece, it's toast, but if it's a minor deal, they fix it. I agree with looking for a granite installer.

Old 07-15-07, 07:11 AM
N
Thanks for your suggestions.

The crack isn't that bad but we would like to keep dirt from getting in and keep it from getting longer. Anything we can do ourselves on this or is this also a job for the pros??

Old 07-15-07, 09:00 AM
S
Use a spatchula or some thing like that and work some clear silicone caulk into the crack. Wash the excess off with a wet sponge. I have no idea if this will cause future issues with the granite. It may act as sort of a wedge over time and cause the crack to continue.

Old 07-16-07, 08:19 AM
C
Received 110 Votes on 85 Posts
I think your best bet is to get a pro to epoxy seal the crack with the same epoxy used on the countertop seams. They can match the color and it will probably keep the crack from extending.