58" tub replacement

Old 07-15-07, 12:14 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
58" tub replacement

This question has prob. been asked a thousand times...

I am about to start on a bathroom remodel, primarily driven by my (and my wife's ) desire to replace the horrible looking shower/tub surround with a proper tub and tile work. We're planning on replacing most, if not all, of the dry wall and cement board, so we'll be going down to studs.

Here is my concern: the bathroom is small and measures only 58" across (wall to wall). The tub is at the far end of the room, spanning the entire width. Will a 60" tub fit? I know that the tub dimensions are measured stud-to-stud, but will I have to notch the studs to get it in place?

Any advise is appreciated!

Cheers,
Dan

Old 07-15-07, 03:48 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Once you add the thickness of the drywall and Tile to the measurement you took of the current tub, you should come out to a 60" rough-in area. You may need to shim or notch the area to make a replacement tub fit. However, 60" tubs are very common.

Good luck with your project.

Old 07-15-07, 06:02 PM
S
Can you get it through the door?

Old 07-16-07, 05:17 AM
D
Through the door

I think I'll be able to get it through the door, the question is turning it sideways to get it in place. I have a sinking feeling that I'm going to need to notch or temporarily remove a stud or two (non-load bearing).

I had a tile guy come out last Friday and he was telling me that there was no way to fit a 60" tub. I had heard from other contractors and a few friends that it would work, but only with some effort and creativity.

Old 07-16-07, 09:42 PM
S
If the tub is stand alone, the "fitting" is far simpler.

Old 07-17-07, 06:19 AM
D
Freestanding v. Inset

That's gonna be the rub (no pun intended). The tub we have in mind is an inset American Standard. It's the most affordable one we could find that was made of good material and had the look we are going for.

Anyone have leads on a "classic" looking free-standing tub under $500?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: