Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

How to suspend microwave above range with no cabinet.

How to suspend microwave above range with no cabinet.

Old 07-21-07, 07:21 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile How to suspend microwave above range with no cabinet.

I have a freestanding range with a microwave suspended above it. There is no cabinet above the microwave. I bought a new microwave but it is suppose to attach to a cabeinet above it. And it appears that all new microwaves are made that wave. How do a suspend a new microwave above my stove? Do I have to buy a special microwave, or a special bracket? Where can i find it?

I've done google searches, but the only microwave or brackets i can find are for hanging under a cabinet. I cannot seem to find any that are suspended from the wall as my old one was.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-07, 08:29 PM
You can get a wall hanging micro wave bracket at most full service appliance stores. If they do not have one on hand, they can order one for you. Not expensive. I have installed many of them. Good Luck

Old 07-21-07, 09:02 PM
I
Thank you for your reply,

I've found L shaped wall brackets that hold a countertop microwave. But I need one that will hold an over the range microwave that has the exhaust vent on the bottom.

Do you know if they make them like that?

Old 07-21-07, 09:10 PM
Yes, that is the kind I am talking about. You can hang a microwave anywhere. They are a 2 piece bracket and mount right on the wall.

Old 07-21-07, 10:16 PM
I
Unhappy

Well I am at a loss as to how to find one. I called Home depot where I bought it, and they said there was no kind of bracket like that.
I have been googling for several hours and the only brackets that I can find are actually just shelves.

Is there a special name for this device?

The words
"microwave, hang, bracket, wall mount, over the range/stove, install, no cabinet"

do not give me any results other then how to hang one under a cabinet, or simply a shelf.

Old 07-22-07, 07:35 AM
If you recall in my previous answer, I told you to contact a full service appliance store. Not a big box store. Home Depot is a big box store. I don't know what to tell you except I would probably not look on the web for one.
As for a name for it, it is just a wall hanging bracket for a microwave. Your on your own now.

Old 07-22-07, 10:38 AM
C
Received 110 Votes on 85 Posts
Ilief - Are you sure you are looking at microwaves designed to be mounted? Most over range Uwave/vent combo's are attached to the wall with a mounting plate. I just installed one last year in my own kitchen.

Go to the Whirlpool site, select a microwave/vent combo and pull up the install instructions.

I'm not a kitchen installer, but every microwave I looked at before settling on the Whirlpool was mounted to the wall with a mounting plate lagged to the studs. I didn't see a single one that hung from a cabinet.

Old 07-22-07, 11:39 AM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Wall Plate

The wall plate supports the rear of the microwave. The front is supported by two bolts attached through the cabinet from above.

Old 07-22-07, 02:27 PM
I
CWbuff... Thank you for your reply. Over the range microwaves are mounted just as the the poster below me has described, a bracket on the bottom/back and them it is bolted to the cabinet above it. This is the only method of installation that I have found.

I went to the Whirlpool web site and checked out the instructions. And if you read it down to the very bottom, you will see how they have you bolt it to the upper cabinet

My old microwave that was DOA when I bought this house was made to be mounted on the wall with no support from above. So I know that these microwaves, do exist, but I cannot find one.

If you know of a source for such a MW, I would really appreciate the info.

Old 07-22-07, 02:38 PM
I
Jack-

Thank you for your reply. I have searched the internet, I have called the two major appliance stores in my smallish home town, and yes, I called Home Depot.

After your last post, I called four large full service appliance stores that are in Portland Oregon which is a major city and about 200 miles from here. I have done my homework.

They have all told me the same thing, they have no knowledge of any kind of MW or special bracket that would make the above cabinet un-necessary.

And so I respectfully ask you, please, would you reveal your special source?

And yes, we are all on our own on this earth, I was just asking for a little help.

Old 07-22-07, 02:41 PM
As you probalby know I am a building contractor and on the go all the time. I will make myself a note and try to get by one of the appliance stores this week. Thats the best I can do for you.