help with my slate floor

Old 07-22-07, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face help with my slate floor

18 months ago we built a house and used slate in our shower, half way up the some of the walls, around our Jacuzzi and on the floor. We had two different crews and apparently our floor tile was laid flushed and not grouted or sealed. It is looking very ashy and always dusty. Would it be too late to grout and should we seal it so that it has a lustrous look like the walls and shower? If so, do you have any suggestions as to how to go about and accomplish this? I can't seem to get the dust off the floor and if I sweep and mop it dries again dull and dirt looking. What about water wax that is self polishing?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-07, 12:54 AM
Slate is a natural stone and, as with all natural stone tiles, is porous and must be sealed. There are several companies that make sealer for it. Go to a well stocked flooring store and they should have what you need. There are two lusters, matt finish and gloss. Matt finish leaves the slate sealed with out actually looking sealed. You'll need to make sure the slate is very clean before sealing it or you'll seal the dirt into it. Seal it before grouting or the grout will stain the slate. You can apply the sealer with a paint brush. Follow the instructions as to number of recommended coats.

Old 07-23-07, 08:36 PM
cleaning unsealed slate

thank you for your quick reply. Would you suggest sweeping, scrubbing with floor cleaner and several moppings with water to remove the dirt (and i want to call it "slate dust") from the floor and the grout lines? Then let it dry completely before applying the sealant? Since most of the tiles are layed flushed with mostly small joints, is there any thing i should be aware of while grouting?