Restore Granite Counter Top

Old 07-23-07, 10:50 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Restore Granite Counter Top

Moved into a house about 6 yrs old with nice granite counters in the kitchen. Have heard about re-sealing them each year? Notice a friend's granite counters were sooooo much smoother than ours recently. Is this just sealing or is there a whole restoration/refinishing process I need to lok into?

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 07-23-07, 04:43 PM
J
Besides keeping them looking better, sealing granite is a health issue. It keeps bacteria from making a home in the porous surface. If it does not shine, it may need polishing, not normally a DIY job. And they can reseal it at that time.

Old 07-24-07, 01:42 PM
C
Received 123 Votes on 98 Posts
bheron - can you post a pic of your countertops? Most kitchen countertops are a glossy polished finish, but there are other finishes available. You may have a honed granite surface. It is deliberately less shiny than a polished stone.

Old 07-26-07, 11:58 AM
B
Just Bill - thats what I was wondering. Is there a different process to make them look nicer. Ok, thanks.

cwbuff - ok, let me see if I can do that so we can get a better idea of what I can do.

thanks all! I'll be back....

Old 07-26-07, 12:08 PM
T
Granite can be polished (shiney), honed (matte), flamed or brushed (textured). Polished and honed surfaces are flat and smooth. The flamed and brushed surfaces are flat and textured. The polished surface is the shiniest. Brushed finish reflects little light.

Thus, as indicated, it is possible that your granite finish is unlike that of your friends. Use only products recommended for care and maintenance for natural stone. If you apply drops of water to counter and they are absorbed by the stone and do not bead, it is time to seal the granite with a penetrating sealer recommended for granite.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: