Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Applying subway tile to ceiling above tub. Any tips?

Old 07-24-07, 06:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm remodeling my first bathroom, and I'm hoping to pull of a little trick for an interesting "architectural touch." I need some input, though, on how to make it work out as intended.

My bathroom is 60" wide with your basic 60"x30"x14" bathtub against the side wall. The head of the tub is adjacent to a shared wet wall (I'm in a condo) that I was required to use 5/8" firecode drywall on. The long side of the tub is against an outer wall (also with 5/8" firecode drywall) and the foot of the tub is against an inner wall that has 1/2" drywall. All of the drywall in the bathroom has already been taped, spackled and primed with four coats of mold-resistant primer. I'm planning to use 1/2" concrete backerboard on these three walls when I tile.

What I'd like to do first though is "lower" the portion of the ceiling that's above the tub down about 4" or so (using some 1" lumber cut to shape and .25" drywall to create the curves) with the middle portion (perhaps 3' or so) level to the original ceiling with the ends at the head and foot curving downward so the ends of the .25" drywall sheet are perhaps 10-12" below the original ceiling. I then want to tile all three walls and the "dropped" curved ceiling to create a type of alcove area around the tub.

Although the .25" drywall will be flexible enough to create the shape of the area I want, I'm not sure what to use as a backing material for the tile (3"x6" white porcelain subway tiles). The limited materials I've seen at Lowes and Home Depot aren't flexible enough, so I'm wondering of there is something else I could use? Or, since water won't get splashed up onto the ceiling that much, would I be able to simply apply several coats of primer especially for wet areas directly onto the .25" drywall and then attach the tile?

Also, what the best adhesive for applying tile to a ceiling? I've purchased some premixed thin set for tiling the floors, but would I perhaps be better off using mastic on the ceiling (and what's the difference between these adhesives, anyway?).

I hope my explanation makes sense. Any help or advise I get would be very appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Old 07-25-07, 02:07 PM
S
If you can't use 1/4 inch concrete board on the ceiling, How about a waterproofing membrane, such as Redgard? It's a trowel on material that dries to a sort of plastic feeling consistency and will waterproof the thing. I've never tried it over dry wall and am not sure it's a good idea, but check it out. As to your premixed thinset, take it back and get some real thinset. If you've read many old posts here in regard to the stuff, you'll find lots of folks have had some less than pleasant experiences with it. Use thinset on the ceiling but mix it just a bit loose as compared to the floor. You may have to use tape in places to hold the tiles in place until the thinset sets up.

Old 07-28-07, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the tip about premixed thinset. You're right, it sounds like people have had problems with this stuff (I bought Mapei at Lowes like others have). I'll definately return it and get the powered mix. I'd rather avoid any problems I can during this (damn never-ending) remodel!

I'll also look again at the 1/4" concrete board, although I may have to hunt down that plasticy spread you mentioned and see what the label says about applying to drywall (primed or bare).

Thanks for your help!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: