attach floatin shelves to kitchen tiles?

Old 07-26-07, 09:53 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
attach floatin shelves to kitchen tiles?

hello all....

so here's a question, i have some kitchen tiles around the sink / oven area. i would like to attach shelving in this area but how would i do that? off the top of my head i don't think you can just drill through tile... but ive never worked with tile before.

is there any safe way of doing it. i live in an apartment so it would have to be able to go back to the way it was.....

thanks!

Old 07-26-07, 10:59 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Yeah you can drill holes in tile but depending on what kinda tile it can be a bear. Glazed ceramic tile no problem, some porcelains and stones a little more difficult. What you can do though if you have to restore it later is drill holes only in the grout and then fill them in when you move out. You should have no problems drilling into the grout with regular carbide tipped masonry bits.

Old 07-26-07, 04:03 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
They make tile drill bits, looks like a ancient Indian Arrow head attached to a rod. They do a pretty slick job of going through ceramic tile. What you need to keep in mind is that you are hanging a shelf on a wall. If you do not hit a stud with your screws when attaching your shelves you may damage the wall if too much weight is put on the shelf. You can locate the studs by peeking inside the cabinets and looking for where the cabinets are screwed into the walls. You will also probably have to use some sort of wall anchors.

Old 07-26-07, 05:15 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sounds good! thanks guys!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: