Painting kitchen floor

Old 07-27-07, 05:16 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting kitchen floor

Hi, We have been re-doing our entire house. Our kicthen floor is BAD looking right now and I was thinking of painting it. Right now it's plywood over the old floor (we replaced the counters and put the plywood over for extra support) We are hoping to tile in the future, but money is an issue right now. I painted the floor with about 5 coats of floor paint (outdoor kind i think) but the wear is bad. It lasts about a week before it looks like it's been on for years.

Is their a way to paint it, a type of paint that we could use that would last till we have enough money for the tile we want? I am sick of it looking horrible.

Thanks for the help,
Lindy

Old 07-27-07, 05:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Floor prep is key to a good paint job.

The only way to fix this is to scrape and sand these layers of paint off to get a good surface for new paint to adhere too.

I would use a good quality latex self-priming floor and patio enamel. It doesn't require any sealing.

You could even apply a layer of water base poly for added protection.

Old 07-27-07, 06:02 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painted floors with tile going in just makes my skin crawl, but it's a wood floor so you'll have to use backer board any how so you should be OK. Just a suggestion here, but how about a sheet of vinyl instead of paint? It would last until the tile goes in and, if you loose lay it instead of gluing it, it'll be easy to remove. If it's a felt back vinyl, it's designed to be glued, but I've put lots of it down as a loose lay in situations such as yours and it actually works pretty well. You can often get remnants fairly reasonably.

Old 07-28-07, 04:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 861 Upvotes on 753 Posts
What type of paint are you using?

Just because it's exterior paint doesn't mean it is suitable for foot traffic. You need to use a porch and deck enamel! As long as the floor is realitively clean with no cleaner residue you should be ok to paint over what you have.

btw - welcome to the forums Lindy!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: