Do I always need grout between ceramic tiles?

Old 07-28-07, 07:54 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do I always need grout between ceramic tiles?

I want to resurface a small area in front of the fireplace which is not intended to be walked on. The design of tiles I selected allows for perfect butting of the tiles next to each other and I’d like to avoid the grout line. Am I on the wrong track here? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Also, can you recommend sources other then “Schluter” for edge protection profiles?

Old 07-28-07, 11:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! In an instance such as this, grouting is not necessarily a must (desirable, but....). You have no water issues, hopefully. Travertine tile have quite an ability to butt up next to each other rather nicely. If you do decide to apply any grout, use the unsanded grout (not white), and wipe it up well to reveal a nice line. I think you will be better satisfied, even if you use a black or gray grout even later down the road. Good luck with the project, and let us know if we can help further.

Old 07-28-07, 11:59 AM
P
so why to grout in the first place

Thanks Chandler. Will you please elaborate on why you would find grouting “desirable”? I’m really trying to better understand the need for grouting in the first place short of allowing for minor imperfections between the tiles. Is this really the only reason for grouting?

Old 07-28-07, 12:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Well, yes, it is pretty, but functional at the same time. In a wet situation, it prevents water infiltration between the tiles, which will destroy the substrate and release the tiles, but, as I said, in your situation, it would be a personal choice. If you like the look without grout, go for it. I was just allowing for a future fix in case you decided you didn't like it after installation.

Old 07-28-07, 02:58 PM
S
I got to tour a big tile manufacturing plant in Texas several years ago and their entire show room was tiled that way, even in the high traffic areas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: