Tile edge protection or finishing products

Old 07-28-07, 11:55 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Tile edge protection or finishing products

Any recommend sources other then “Schluter” for edge protection or finishing products?

thanks.

Old 07-28-07, 12:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I forgot to answer this with your original post. Schluter is made for use with the ditra system, but you can find common gold tone, silver tone, etc. tile edging at most better tile stores. Even the big box stores carry a limited supply. You didn't say whether or not you used the ditra system in your hearth or not, nor did you say why you didn't like the Shluter system.

Old 07-29-07, 07:35 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Larry,

I’ll try to answer your questions and clarify my situation.

This will be my second tiling job after surfacing my hearth (an old and dirty concrete slab) with Marble tiles some 15 years ago. The reason for the current re-surfacing is to better match the room color scheme and provide a more contemporary face-lift.

The hearth is raised 10 inches above the floor and consists of a 2.5” “lip” on the front. The top surface (20”) and the “lip” are currently covered with black marble. My objective is to provide a nice finish to the flat-surface tile-edge which naturally is in different color and texture than the tile surface. My best option would have been using the Schluter RONDEC-STEP profile to cover the entire “lip” but it doesn’t come in sizes larger than 2.25” while I need 2.5” to fully cover the existing marble “lip”. My fall back scenario will be using the Schluter RONDEC or another manufacturer “U” profile to cover the tile-edge.

I was not planning to use the Schluter Ditra system as I saw no need for it. The hearth is stable like a rock and I don’t use under floor heating. Would you recommend this system for my job?

Thanks,
Gary

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: