Crown Moulding over kitchen cabinets

Old 07-30-07, 07:42 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Crown Moulding over kitchen cabinets

I have installed new thermo-foil kitchen cabinets and would like to finish the tops to the ceiling (5 1/2") with crown moulding. The ceiling is sheet rock and the cabinets are thermo-foil. I dont want to screw or nail into the finish on the cabinets, so I am left with the ceiling to support the crown moulding. Any help would be appreciated. GW

Old 07-30-07, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,947 Upvotes on 1,747 Posts
If crown is going above cabinets, I always lay a cleat (2x2 or similar) on top of the cabinets, so that the bottom of the crown does not nail to the cabinet face, instead it nails to the cleat, which is attached to the top of the cabinet. Since there is no room to screw down through the cleat, you would need to screw up into the cleat- you would open a cabinet door, predrill a hole, and screw a finish screw up through the top face frame and into the cleat in several places order to attach it. These screws would obviously be hidden when the cabinet doors are closed, just like the screws that hold the sides of the face frame together are.

As for attaching the crown to the ceiling, a 2x2 that has an angle (to compliment the spring angle of the crown) ripped on it would provide a surface to nail the top edge of the crown to on those sides of the cabinets that are running parallel to the ceiling joists- meaning there is nothing in the ceiling to nail the crown to when the ceiling joists are parallel to the cabinets. (the 2x2 would need to be attached to the drywall with a little glue and some toggle bolts.) The location of the ceiling cleat is critical, because if it is not in the exact right place, and is too far away from the cabinets, it will change the angle of the crown, causing it to gap away from the ceiling. Of course, on some sides of the kitchen, the top of the crown would be nailed to the ceiling joists on those cabinets that are perpendicular to the ceiling joists.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: