Need help with a bathroom faucet

Old 07-31-07, 01:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help with a bathroom faucet

I have a peculiar drip problem (and also repair problem) with the faucet in my bathroom sink, and I hope someone can help me.

This faucet is perhaps 4 years old. I don't know the brand name.

Occasionally, the hot water tap will develop a drip, ranging from perhaps 1 drop every 15 seconds to a thin but steady drizzle. If I push the handle with more force than usual, the drip stops, but then, when the pressure is released, it starts up again.

The thing that has me really puzzled is that it happens sometimes, then disappears spontaneously, even tho I've done nothing!

It does not *seem* to be related to flow of hot water through the tap, because we use the tap in the same pattern every day, for hand-washing and a morning shave.

The handle is secured to the stem with a screw that takes an allen wrench. But no matter how much force I exert, I cannot move the allen wrench, and I'm reluctant to take my big pliers to it.

Anyone have any suggestions about what might be going on, and how to get the handle loose?

Old 08-01-07, 03:39 PM
J
It sounds like a Delta, or similar faucet. Allen set screw to remove the handle?? Set screw may be corroded, spray with some penetrating oil, PB Blaster or WD 40. Once that is off, the top cap is also a nut, unscrew(you did shut off the water??). With that off there is a ball, and two rubber thingys(technical term), they need to be replaced, and lubricate the new ones with some plumbers grease, both available at your local hardware store. Avoid big box, few people there know what you are asking about.

Old 08-01-07, 06:10 PM
Maybe Delta, but not single-lever

This faucet is in the bathroom, and is a conventional (2-sided, 2 handles and STEMS) one. No more than 4 years old. Already tried some WD-40. Maybe need to do it again?

What about putting some heat on it? To do so, of course, I'd need to put some kind of "heat shield" behind the faucet so that I didn't mar the plastic sink base.

Turn off the water? Wow, what an idea....before or after I get the thing out? <big friendly grin>

As a general rule, I agree re "big box" stores (HD etc), tho I *have* on occasion gotten some good advice there. As a general rule, I prefer to seek advice from *older* guys (or gals), even retired ones: the younger ones so often just do not have sufficient experience to know when there's a good work-around.

Old 08-02-07, 09:45 AM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Faucet

Once you get the faucet disassembled, check the seat in the bottom where the rubber washer stops when the water is turned off. The seat may have developed a channel or rough spot allowing water to pass through when the faucet is turned off. The seat can be removed with an Allen wrench. Take the old one with you and get a replacement at your plumbing supply store. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: