Re-Grouting my bathtub

Old 08-03-07, 12:20 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Re-Grouting my bathtub

I re-grouted my bathtub following the instructions from DoItYourself about three weeks ago. The sanded grout I purchased for the large gaps said that it needed 72 hours to dry. So, we didn't use the tub for 3 full days but the grout is still soft. A few spots never did fully dry in the 72 hour period, and then with showering they seemed to just get wetter and wetter. Is there something that can make the grout dry faster? It is our only bathroom, so we need to be able to use it within a couple of days. I also live in a rather humid climate, so I was thinking of trying to re-do the spots when the humidity drops.
Thanks, K

Old 08-03-07, 01:32 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That sounds like premixed grout. Was the grout a powder you mixed with water or was it already mixed and all you did was apply it? If you used premixed, it wasn't advise you got here, that stuff is useless and I've never seen any one here advise it. If you did, get it all out of there and re-do it with regular grout. If it's regular grout, I'm puzzled. That stuff sets up fairly quickly and the shower should be usable in three days. The grout needs to be sealed or it will always look wet after using the shower because it is wet. Grout is porous and water will penetrate unsealed grout. I know it's a pain and you may want to borrow a shower for a while, but if you used the right grout, you need to give it time to dry completely and then seal the grout.

Old 08-03-07, 02:26 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Gotta be the premixed. Unfortunately that stuff will never dry. Im getting sick and tired of people getting scammed in to buying this stuff. Its not grout at all, some kinda mastic/adhesive with sand added. Unfortunately if its the premixed you need to dig it all out and start over. The good news is being that its still soft it should be easy to remove. These companies should not be allowed to sell this crap. Boy I went off here. I hope you didnt use this stuff. When you see the word premixed on anything that has to do with tile, run away as fast as you can.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: