corian countertop

Old 08-03-07, 02:39 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
corian countertop

Does anyone know how to get a high shine on Corian Countertop? I've sanded them with 400 and 600 sandpaper. I get a shine, but not as even or glossy as I would like.

Thanks for any help

Old 08-03-07, 03:07 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
This might help you out:

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/products/corian/corian_care.html

Old 08-03-07, 04:42 PM
D
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
This might help you out:

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/products/corian/corian_care.html
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I'm looking for more than maintenance solutions. I want to get out the scratches and bring the counter to a high gloss. It currently has a satin finish.

Old 08-04-07, 09:21 PM
C
Question Gloss shine on Corian top

You probably don't have the equipment you need to do this, but on the off chance you do, here's how. Start with a random orbit sander, either air or electric. Sand the entire top with 60 micron mylar disc both vertical, then horizontal overlapping 50% each pass. Make sure all scratches are gone. It helps to mark them with a Sharpie pen right in the grooves so you know when the scratches are gone. Then do it all over again with 30 micron, then 15 micron. Be sure to use a self starting vacuum to catch dust at the source so you're not breathing it. Wipe down with water between grits. After sanding with 15 micron use a low speed buffer with a wool bonnet to work heavy duty buffing compound into the surface from all directions. Use a clean bonnet with fine polishing compound to buff to a high shine, followed by 3M Finess-It polish. You now have a very glossy, high maintenance top. To get a much easier to maintain top sand to 60 micron, then a red Scotch-Bright pad on the random orbit sander. Good luck with this.

Old 08-05-07, 08:02 PM
D
Originally Posted by CNTRTOP
You probably don't have the equipment you need to do this, but on the off chance you do, here's how. Start with a random orbit sander, either air or electric. Sand the entire top with 60 micron mylar disc both vertical, then horizontal overlapping 50% each pass. Make sure all scratches are gone. It helps to mark them with a Sharpie pen right in the grooves so you know when the scratches are gone. Then do it all over again with 30 micron, then 15 micron. Be sure to use a self starting vacuum to catch dust at the source so you're not breathing it. Wipe down with water between grits. After sanding with 15 micron use a low speed buffer with a wool bonnet to work heavy duty buffing compound into the surface from all directions. Use a clean bonnet with fine polishing compound to buff to a high shine, followed by 3M Finess-It polish. You now have a very glossy, high maintenance top. To get a much easier to maintain top sand to 60 micron, then a red Scotch-Bright pad on the random orbit sander. Good luck with this.

Thanks for the info. That was exactly what I was looking for. I have the random orbit sander. However, I am having difficulty finding the fine mylar discs. Where can I get them. Again, thanks for the help.

Old 08-05-07, 09:10 PM
C
Corian Countertop

Try specialtytools.com. They'll have everything you need. They may also have more specific advice. What I told you is pretty general. Some colors take more steps than others, and they will know the difference. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: