Repairing tape blisters in drywall

Old 08-05-07, 01:29 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Repairing tape blisters in drywall

I am remodeling my kitchen and this is the first taping job I have ever done. I noticed that there is some blistering of the drywall tape in the areas that I first did because I was not aware that I should wet the tape first.

These areas will be covered by cabinets and a tile back splash. Is it worth trying to fix them? I am a little concerned that the tile adhesive might have problems sticking to blisted tape.

If so, how do I go about fixing the blisters? It is not the whole strip of tape but in spots that range from 4" to 12".

Thanks!

Old 08-05-07, 03:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 752 Posts
I never wet my paper tape but it is imperitive to have a wet coat of mud under it. The best way to fix is to cut out the affected areas. Tile adhesive should stick ok but I'd be concerned that that area isn't flat and may not let the tile lay correctly.

You can probably leave the areas that get covered by cabinets alone but I'd cut out where the tile will go. It should be ok to just mud it smooth and not retape.

Old 08-05-07, 06:37 PM
S
Thanks for the reply.

Should I just cut the paper out all together or cut enough to mud under it?

Old 08-06-07, 04:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 752 Posts
If the affected areas were to be painted you would need to fix those areas but since it will be covered there is no need to retape. You just need to cut out the bubble and fill the void.

Old 08-06-07, 06:40 PM
S
Thanks! I'm glad I did the hidden parts first

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: