advice on re-caulking or re-grouting tub?

Old 08-23-07, 07:34 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question advice on re-caulking or re-grouting tub?

The problem is that my tub 1) leaks around the edges of the tile wall because the caulking is bad, and 2) it looks really ugly.

(Edit: I tried to post pics but it seems I'm not allowed. Here they are though: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thisdamnhouse/1213681617/ closeup1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thisdamnhouse/1213681703/ closeup2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thisdamnhouse/1213681811/ tub

I've tried cleaning the grout with bleach, by hand scrubbing with abrasive cleaner, and using Scrubbing Bubbles. I will try Tilex next and if that doesn't work, get some grout and tile cleaner from the hardware store.

BUT...I also need to either re-caulk or re-grout (or both) around the edges to stop the leaking. My current plan, therefore, is to take white caulk and caulk the edge and also caulk over the stained grout; the grout is slightly cracked so it could probably use some sealing anyway.

Does this seem a reasonable approach? My goal is to make my tub leak-proof and decent looking with minimal effort and expense.

- Mrs. TDH

Old 08-23-07, 02:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Never grout where tile meets tub. It will crack and leak.

Clean out all that old caulk/grout very well and allow to dry completely. Then tape off the tub and tile to make a clean line.

Get some Kitchen and Bathroom caulking and reapply.

You cannot simply seal cracked grout. The grout will crack again. If there is too much movement in the walls, grout will always crack. Only fix is to remove all the old grout and/or tile and start over.

Old 08-24-07, 07:45 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
House

I wasn't able to pull up the pictures. Whats behind the tile, sheetrock? If so, you probable have soaked sheetrock with lots of swelling and movement and thats the reason for the cracked grout. If thats the case, there is no solution other than to tear it out and replace it. It'll just get worse.

Old 08-24-07, 07:48 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny
House

I wasn't able to pull up the pictures. Whats behind the tile, sheetrock? If so, you probable have soaked sheetrock with lots of swelling and movement and thats the reason for the cracked grout. If thats the case, there is no solution other than to tear it out and replace it. It'll just get worse.
It's that special kind of water-friendly sheetrock, I don't remember what it is called. I was worried about what you said, but when I looked at it (through the plumbing access panel behind the tub) it appeared to be in surprisingly good shape!

Old 08-24-07, 08:06 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
That "water friendly sheetrock" is not an acceptable substrate for tile in a wet area like a tub surround. Unfortunately, its been found to be no better than regular sheetrock. It will get wet and swell just like regular sheetrock. You may not be able to tell from looking at it but its probably soaked. Check it out again. See if it feels damp on the back. I'll be real surprised if its not. Tile and grout aren't waterproof, and the grout will allow moisture to pass through. Sealers will slow down water penetration but wont stop it. Once water gets to the sheetrock and soaks it, its over. It may take some time, but once it does its over. If you have cracked grout this is likely the case.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: