Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

What height of kitchen telephone outlet next to power outlet?

Old 08-23-07, 01:51 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We are having new cabinets and countertop installed. Electrical rough-in is done and there are a number of outlets just above the height of the countertop, of course.

My question is this. We will want a telephone near one of these AC outlets. At what height should the phone outlet be installed on the wall? Is same height as AC fine or is something else typical?

Thanks,
Allen

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-07, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Same height is fine. Since telephone wiring is considered low voltage, it doesn't have code requirements like normal home line voltage.

Old 08-23-07, 04:26 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Just a free point, no charge. Placing a phone jack at countertop height means putting a phone on an already crowded countertop, and subjecting it to spaghetti sauce, etc. IMO, I would place the phone jack at a 5' height at the end of the counter on a blank wall and make it a walk about wireless phone. Out of the way, but convenient.

Old 08-24-07, 06:13 AM
A
I was thinking about the crowd factor as well as asthetics. The counter at that point where there is an AC outlet (for wired/wireless phone power or other appliance) is at a corner where the peninsula and rest of the cabinets meet.

In the previous situation (old cupboards), I had a jack box at the floor and so it was messy with the phone line cord hanging over the counter and running visibly down to the floor.

With the new cupboards and expected countertop which will be wider with an overhang, the place where the phone quad wire comes up thru the floor is covered by a cabinet. So i have to make a decision (before the countertop comes in) whether (a) i run the wire behind the drywall into a new box just beside the AC power box, or (b) put a mini phone jack outlet somewhere just under the counter near the wall.

(a) is cleaner, but perhaps will detract from the look of the planned backsplash and also its more work.
(b) the jack is hidden; gives me more flexibility since i may eventually not want a wired phone or wireless base station connected at that point, but it's not as clean a solution.

Thoughts? Another idea is do nothing, i.e. no wired phone or wireless base in the kitchen. Put a base unit in another room and a remote in the kitchen with charger base only. That's fine for one line but I havent seen any two line cordless phones with a remote auxiliary charger base.

Old 08-24-07, 06:29 AM
put in two jacks one at counter height one for a wall phone

give yourself some versatlity

Old 08-26-07, 04:40 PM
A
Thanks. BTW, what type of electrical box above the counter do I need thru the drywall for the flush to wall telephone outlet?

Any standard electrical box?

Allen

Old 08-26-07, 04:47 PM
For telephone:

Use an orange "low voltage, old work" box.

It has a thin frame with two little "wings" that you tighten against the inside of the wall. Very easy to install.

Since it's low voltage, it's not enclosed like typical electrical boxes.

Old 08-26-07, 08:50 PM
A
Mark, many thanks!

What a handy box. Excellent design which made installation easy.

Since it is on the inside of an *outside* wall, should I stuff a bit of insulation in the cavity to eliminate drafts in winter? (now that a rectangle of drywall has been removed).

Allen