Shower Install replacing Garden Tub

Old 08-25-07, 08:36 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower Install replacing Garden Tub

I am considering replacing an existing garden tub with a shower in manufactured housing. The bathroom has an existing shower that is small but works fine so time is not a problem for me. The new installation would involve removing a garden tub and I have 63" along the long wall and 47" on the short wall. Both walls form a corner to the exterior and I have outside access to the plumbing on the existing garden tub. Present water lines to tub are along the inside short wall closest to the drain. I will start with a question regarding the existing drain as I am not sure what I will find when I remove the garden tub. The tub drain is located 23 1/2" from the long wall and 10 1/2" from the short wall. Could I build a shower using the kerdi drain system in the existing location or would you recommend that the drain be more centered in the shower floor. I will be using most all of the 63" long wall and can extend the present short wall to 48" if necessary. I will be removing all present wall board down to the studs and will be installing 3/4 plywood over existing flooring. I would prefer to do my own preslope and liner, curb, tile, etc. but would consider a prefab kit as a last resort. Entry into the bathroom will be through a 3' 0" doorway. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Old 08-25-07, 09:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I just finished this remodel yesterday, with the exception of the glass guy installing a glass panel on the front wall of the shower and installing the mirrors. It is fairly easy, once you have the garden tub out to extend the drain to the middle of the new shower enclosure, which was done here. The original shower was outside this "closet" that became the shower. We had to pull and reinstall the garden tub, and it was a bear, considering the controls were on one end and the outlet on the other, with the drain on the lateral part between the two. But the drain will be in a hole cut out of the floor, so access is pretty good.
Post back with other questions, or if you need further information.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3/larrychandler/DSCF0486.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3/larrychandler/DSCF0488.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3/larrychandler/DSCF0489.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3/larrychandler/DSCF0496.jpg

Old 08-26-07, 07:03 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Larry, did you find a 2" drain from the garden tub or is than an issue I will have to deal with?

Old 08-26-07, 08:09 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Larry - Looks good - nice work.

Barlow - Code for a shower drain is 2" so if you dont have 2" drain line you'll need to replace it back to the stack. If you intend on using a complete kerdi kit including their shower tray the drain has got to be centered. It's always best to center the drain anyway. You need minimum pitch of 1/4" per foot from the longest wall to the drain. If the drain is not centered, the pitch to the closer walls will be more severe and often doesnt look right and can sometimes be difficult to tile. Its also uncomfortable to stand on a severe pitch while showering. A centered drain always looks and works best.

The kerdi shower is a great choice. You wind up with a completely waterproof shower which will save you lots of aggravation in the future. Less mold and wood rot problems as time goes on. No top mortar bed to hold water and give off bad smells. If the shower isnt one of their stock sizes for the pan, you can build a mud pan to any custom size and shape.

Old 08-26-07, 11:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I was lucky, as the drain, as soon as it finished the ptrap was 2", so extending it was no problem, but as HeresJohnny says, you may have to trace it back to the stack, which, hopefully is in the outside wall adjacent to the tub, which would be no big deal to pull up the subflooring and modify it, replacing the subflooring.
Thanks HJ. I balked at putting the clear window in the shower, but the owner said no one could look in without a telescope and helicopter, so she wasn't worried. As it turned out, she originally wanted glass block wall in front, but later opted for clear glass since her view would be occluded otherwise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: