New drywall up, what's next?

Old 09-03-07, 06:55 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New drywall up, what's next?

Hi all,

First time DIYer out of necessity (two kids in daycare). I'm re-doing our Master bathroom and it's going well so far thanks to everyone's advice here from this website (MUCH APPRECIATED!) Anyway, I only had to replace the drywall on one wall; I used mold/mildew resistance drywall.

My question is what next? Do I need to apply anything or just prime and paint it? I assumed I'd need to apply at least a skim coat of spackle. Or is it plaster?

As usual, any insights/advice is greatly appreciated. Have a great holiday!

-MZ

Old 09-03-07, 07:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
You need to mud and tape all the joints and mud all screw/nail heads. It usually takes 3 coats of joint compound to finish.

Old 09-03-07, 07:34 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Use paper tape, not the fiberglass mesh stuff - the paper is actually stronger. There are a couple different products used on drywall - you mention spackle, but that's primarily for small repairs, you'll want to use joint compound for this.

Old 09-03-07, 10:31 AM
M
Thanks all. I appreciate the tips, especially about the paper tap - had no idea.

-MZ

Old 09-03-07, 12:26 PM
Q
Once you have all your joints and nail/screw heads covered, make sure to use a primer before the finish paint. If you want to apply a single coat of finish paint, have the primer tinted the same color, then one coat of finish paint is all you need.

When mudding the joints, apply the compound first to level the joint, then stick the tape on the mud while wet and press it on. Let it dry, then do another coat or two with a wide mud knife (8 inches I think they are) to feather it out until it's smooth enough to paint. Make sure to sand after each coat. A pole sander works best.

Old 09-04-07, 09:49 AM
M
Thanks for the instructions on the process. That was my next question as I wasn't sure how the paper tape would stick to the wall. Already have the pole sander so I'm good to go there. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: