Toilet flange problem

Old 09-11-07, 08:02 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet flange problem

HELP! I'm somewhat new at the home repair game and need some advice. I recently began to change the wax ring in an upstairs bathroom due to the discovery of the ceiling in my downstairs utility rooms paint beginning to bubble because of a leak. I took the toilet off and when I inspected the toilet flange, I discovered that the screws holding it to the floor were completely rusted and just pulled right out. Can this problem be fixed without tearing up the floor? I bought screws a little longer and they don't even seem to work. Please give me your advice. Thanks

Old 09-11-07, 09:50 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What does the wook look like?

You didn't say what the subfloor looks like. Is it rotted? If it is rotted you should replace it.

Most likely, the scew holes are only 3/4" deep max. as that is probably the depth of your subfloor. Trying longer screws is not going to get you anywhere because the holes are shot from rot.

Does your flange allow you to put the srews in an alternate location where there might be some solid wood to allow the screws to grab.

Old 09-11-07, 11:51 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
It does sound like your subfloor is rotted and that's why the screws wont hold. The correct fix is to tear up the bathroom floor around the toilet and inspect the condition of the underlayment/subfloor. If it's water damaged it should be replaced.

If that isn't practical right now, you may be able to install a temporary fix by opening up the ceiling in your utility room underneath the toilet. Once you have access you can install some new plywood backer against the bottom of the subfloor (around the toilet drain) that will accept the flange screws.

Not recommended as a long term fix though. A rotted subfloor will not fix itself and will probably only get worse even after you fix the leak. I would budget for a floor renovation in the near future.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: