Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Need Help:Tile wall repair-on old cement/wire mesh backer

Need Help:Tile wall repair-on old cement/wire mesh backer

Old 09-13-07, 01:16 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Help:Tile wall repair-on old cement/wire mesh backer

I posted my problem in a different thread but realized the topic wasn't the same as mine. I am having a problem w/repairing a 17 in. X 17 in. area where the faucett/shower set fits over a tub. The old (backer) wall was made w/ 1 1/4 in.cement & wire mesh over studs. Plumber said he had to tear out to get to the stems of non-functioning faucett; now I have a hole to repair.
We were going to screw in plywood to studs & then screw cement backer board to fit the area.(I see nowthat we need a vapor barrier between these 2 layers.)
We have to cut holes in both layers to allow for the pipes.
Questions:1. Where does the vapor barrier start and stop?
2. Do we use cement, like Quickcrete, to fill in the irregular edges between the old cement wall and the new backer board?
3.Do we need any other layer, like adhesive tape,between new backer board & cement edges before we put thinset and then the tiles?
Thanks so much for your help.I have already learned alot from the questions posted here.
Irene

Old 09-13-07, 03:44 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When I replace 2 or 3 hole faucets with a single hole faucet, there are two repair methods I use, short of complete replacement as you suggest. Especially on full thick mud walls, a lot of work. 1) Many faucet manufacturers now make stainless or painted covers that will fit over the old holes. Does the job but looks like a patch. 2) I try to find tiles the same size as the old, most often 4" or 4 1/4", in a contrasting color. Then carefully break out a pattern, tiles only, and install the new tiles. It adds a design and covers the holes. Just caulk the old holes from behind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: