Bathroom Remodel Dilemma

Old 09-20-07, 09:18 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Remodel Dilemma

I have lurked around these boards for awhile and I finally have a dilemma of my own. I hope to get some opinions since I keep going back and forth and really don't know what to do

We are going to remodel our main floor bathroom. The bathroom is 5x7. Our dilemma is, is it worth taking 2 ft from the bedroom next to the bathroom to make the bathroom 7x7 in hopes of fitting a double vanity, tub and toilet or at 7x7 is the bathroom still too small for a double vanity.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcomed!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-07, 11:00 AM
H
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Elizabeth

7' x 7' is a pretty tight bathroom for double vanity, standard size tub and toilet. Maybe we could help if you could show us some pictures of what you have now and possibly a drawing of what you envision. Where is the door currently, and could it be moved if need be? Are there any windows in the bathroom? Any baseboard heat or heat registers that might influence the layout? Will you have access to change the plumbing if necessary - you can always pull up the subfloor for this if necessary? Maybe some more questions once you give us some pics, drawings and answers.

Old 09-20-07, 12:16 PM
E
I guess my biggest problem is I cant envison it. I will try to answer the questions as best as I can.
Where is the door currently, and could it be moved if need be?
The door really cannot be moved. It is on the 5' wall on the right (if facing it from outside the room) If we expand into the bedroom next door 2' the door would be then pretty much centered on the wall, still unable to be moved. Maybe a pocket door would work here to save space? Im not too sure.
Are there any windows in the bathroom?
None that would cause a problem... High on the wall basement type window is the only window in the room.
Any baseboard heat or heat registers that might influence the layout?
There is a very small baseboard unit (2' maybe) on the wall that the door currently opens onto... I think this could easily be moved since it is an electric unit.
Will you have access to change the plumbing if necessary
This is one area where there is no problem, there is a full basement under this bathroom with a drop celing to the floor above.

It is a really small bathroom currently @ 5x7 and I just can't picture everyting I want in it at 7x7. Maybe I should leave it alone at 5x7 and forgo the double vanity .

I am so confused.

Old 09-20-07, 01:18 PM
H
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Elizabeth

I cant envision how you might fit all that into 7' x 7'. Maybe someone else with a little more creativity might have some ideas.

Old 09-20-07, 02:28 PM
M
5x7 or 7x7 the room would be way too small for a double vanity. Which brings me to a point. a single bowl vanity with room on either or both sides of the bowl is "way" more practical. It may not be as sexy but it sure comes in handy when you set down Hair dryers, curling irons, soap, shaving cream, a razor, tooth brushes, hair spray and deodorant.
The counter space in a small bathroom is very important. Just ask someone who dosent have any.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-07, 04:32 PM
C
Received 61 Votes on 49 Posts
The best way to get a handle on visualizing how stuff will fit is to put it on paper. Get some graph paper and lay out the floor plan. Add the fixtures you want on the paper. Be sure to scale the fixtures. If you make cutouts of the fixtures you can move them around on the layout. A 5X7 or even a 7X7 is small for a full bath but doable. A tub along one wall, a double vanity along the opposite and a toilet in between if the door will allow. A 48" vanity with a toilet alongside is also an option.

Consider a pedestal sink or a shower instead of a tub and you'll find it fairly spacious.

Old 09-21-07, 07:51 AM
cwbuff has a great idea - it's a great way to figure out the space. Just remember to allow ample room for moving around. The Kitchen and Bath Association (I think that is the name) has guidelines available online which are very very handy. You don't realize how much space it takes to do the morning tooth brushing/hair drying/towel snapping your partner dance

Old 09-21-07, 09:56 AM
E
Thanks so much for all the replies. I am going to get some graph paper and make some cut outs CW, that will help me visualize, great idea.

logcabin, I know exactly what you mean, my husband and I have the same schedule and are in bumping into each other all morning in the bathroom. I would just love to have my own sink!