toilet needs fixing

Old 10-07-07, 11:52 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
toilet needs fixing

Hello,

This is my first post.

I need some advice about fixing my toilet. I drew a diagram to make this easier. We're looking at it from the top:

I'm not sure what the terms are, but the part that's broken is the cap that blocks the water from draining. The part that connects to the handle got severed.

There are a few things I need to know before attempting to repair it. First, I need to know how easy it is to take this piece off. I mean, it looks pretty intricately connected to the rest of it, and even if I do take it off, how will I be able to prevent the water from constantly draining? Could I block it with something? Second, is it one piece fits all? I went to my local home depot store and found a variety of caps and I wasn't sure if any one would fit my toilet (customer service wasn't very helpful).

I'm also wondering if I should just bite the bullet and call a plumber. I'd rather try it myself but if it's too complicated, I might be better off calling an expert.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-07-07, 03:31 PM
J
That is the flapper valve. It lets the tank water into the bowl to start the siphoning action to 'flush' the toilet. Fluidmaster makes most parts needed to repair any toilet. They are inexpensive, usually easy to install, and last, what a strange combination. They make an adjustable flapper valve, not sure of their number, but it is available at home and hardware stores for about $5. Takes about 20 sec for me to change, it might take a novice less than a minute. They also make the 400 series toilet valve, worth installing if you have the old ball/**** vale system, about $9. Takes a pair of pliers and a few minutes.

Do not use those handy tablets that turn the water blue, in the tank. The chlorine will cause quick failure of the rubber components.

Old 10-07-07, 04:03 PM
W
Received 66 Upvotes on 57 Posts
Flapper

If I understand your post, the rubber flapper is damaged. These are easy to replace. They are pretty much universal in design and available where plumbing supplies are sold. If I am mistaken, post back for further help.

Old 10-07-07, 07:31 PM
G
Thanks, I'm off to the hardware store then.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: