Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Ideas for installing base cabinet with no wall stud behind it?

Old 10-15-07, 07:51 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I finished the wall cabinets in my kitchen and have moved onto the base cabinets. To my chagrin, my 9" wide liter bottle cabinet (which is between the sink base and dish washer) does not have a stud behind it. It is fairly heavy (especially when it will be full) so I would like to get it anchored well.

My only thought is to rip open the wall behind it and screw in a brace between the existing studs but I would like to avoid that if possible as I just installed the sheet rock.

Any ideas on how to handle this? Even though it is a small cabinet I do not know if wall anchors would be sufficent.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-07, 03:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Fasten the stiles of the two cabinets with screws into predrilled holes, slip in a piece of 1/4" plywood in the back, between the cabinets (to take up the space provided by the stiles), add a small cleat to the inside of the sink cabinet, and screw the liter cabinet to the sink cabinet. This will make the two cabinets as one, and the liter cabinet will rely on the wall holding ability of the sink cabinet.

Old 10-19-07, 10:35 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Larry - That is a great idea, thanks. Have you used this succesfully? It would prevent me from having to rip up the walls.

Old 10-19-07, 02:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Yes, quite often when a smaller cabinet, or filler is used, tying the stiles together and blocking the back works just fine. Once they are in place, there will be no movement. Good luck with it, and let us know how the install goes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: