Kitchen Remodel-Where to start???

Old 10-16-07, 05:24 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Kitchen Remodel-Where to start???

We are starting a moderate kitchen remodel (everything except replacing cabinets but faux finishing them insteam). I was told that I should first choose my granite and work out from there. Unfortunately, the poor light of the room and budget dictated the cabinet faux finish/glaze. I'm actually just having trouble picking out my backsplash tiles, granite counter tops, and lighting fixtures. I'm not sure where my use of color should be. It's a large open great room so the kitchen is a big part of the living space/common area. I love using color, but it seems like my big ticket items should be neutral so I can change color palettes without heavy financial repercussions.
Any thoughts or experience with this dilemma out there???

Old 10-17-07, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Remodel

I would definately keep your countertop and backsplash somewhat neutral and use color in paint and accessories. I recently remodeled our kitchen and I know how difficult it can be. I love color and change regularly so I found that anything semi-permanent or expensive should be neutral to accomodate my changes. I also did faux tile backsplash for the same reason, I like to change things too often. Has worked out great and no one knows it's not real tile until it's pointed out. I can change the color as I want or sand it down and remove it altogether. I simply made a grid with pinstriping tape with 4 in squares and built up the square with drywall mud, let dry, and did a faux paint finish, first choosing base color then sponging different colors, and then removed the tape. Finish with a clear coat for easy clean up and to protect. Looks great.

Old 10-20-07, 05:01 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Pick out the granite before selecting backsplash tiles as these should complement each other. I agree with keeping the big ticket items more neutral. This way, you can change your color scheme at any time.

When choosing lighting fixtures for a kitchen, you will likely find yourself overwhelmed with the many options. Keep in mind the style of your home and your lighting needs.

There are undercabinet lights available to provide task lighting on counters and prevent shadows. There are now fluorescent undercabinet lighting options.

Some prefer a light over the kitchen sink. Lighting decisions will also depend on the size and layout of kitchen. Chandeliers and pendant lighting are popular over islands. These should be of a size that does not overwhelm the kitchen or too small to provide adequate lighting. In other words, they should be properly proportioned to the space.

What finish you want on fixtures is another concern. Many prefer to select a finish that coordinates with faucets and cabinet hardware. For instance, if you have brushed pewter faucet and handles and cabinet knobs/pulls, you may want to opt for the same finish on the light fixture. For this general lighting fixture, it should be the finishing touch in the kitchen.

You also want energy efficient light fixtures. As were are moving toward being 'green,' we must think about conservation. There are many decorative fluorescent options. Fluorescent bulbs require half the energy that incandescent bulbs require.

If you have cabinets with glass doors, you may need to consider accent lighting. There puck type lights available that can provide down lighting to highlight a beautiful display of pottery or glassware.

Take some pictures of your kitchen at different angles and take them with you to a lighting showroom. A lighting professional can help you with your selections.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: