painting kitchen cabinets help please!!

Old 10-22-07, 02:40 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
painting kitchen cabinets help please!!

I have some horrible, horrible 1970's kitchen cabinets (complete with harvest gold backsplash and countertops). My husband gave me the choice: new cabinets and keep the countertops, or paint the cabinets and get new countertops, sooooo I'm painting the cabinets. The only problem is, I am not a real creative person. The main colors I want in my kitchen (which will coordinate with my adjoining dining room) is ivory, black and a dark red. The cabinets are flat panel.

I was thinking of painting the bases ivory and the doors themselves black, but cannot picture how that will look. Anyone who is good at "mentally" seeing and could give me any suggestions, please help!!!

Last edited by handkeswife; 10-22-07 at 02:41 PM. Reason: mistake
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-07, 04:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Personally I wouldn't care too much for black doors but to each his own IMO all ivory would look best. I'd suggest priming and apply the ivory and then painting 1 door black so you can visualize it better. If it is a go - great, if not you only have to reprime 1 door

Be sure to read this before you apply any paint/primer
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=292098

Old 10-22-07, 05:22 PM
H
hmmm.....

Thanks for the advice. That link you sent was great!
I went to a paint visualizer and tried 2 different combos: ivory for walls, backsplash and ceiling and black on the cabinetry, and then reverse. Both look good, but of course the only pictures you can use are designer kitchens, so who knows what it would look like in my kitchen

I took a door off and I'm playing now.

Old 10-22-07, 07:55 PM
D
Hmm if you have any photoshop skills, it would be easy to take a picture of your kitchen now, and change things around to show the different possible looks you could create with just a difference of color.

Um....if you are interested (and unable to do it yourself of course), I would be more than happy to do that. Wouldn't be that hard, and I'd be interested to see the different possibilities myself. Just need a picture of what it looks like now.

Old 10-23-07, 07:37 PM
H
haha...i have NO photoshop skills. Hubby does, but he's not being helpful right now. He thinks the kitchen is fine as it is. (I think he kinda misses the 70's!)
I'll get some pictures tomorrow and email them to you. I really appreciate it!

Old 10-24-07, 04:29 AM
N
I used the exact same color combination in my kitchen as you have described:

I went with ivory / cream colored cabinets (painted) with a dark brick red for the walls. I then added black stone countertops / spalsh with black appliances. Turned out very well and the cabinets really pop in their dark surroundings. Food for thought...

Old 10-24-07, 12:06 PM
H
That sounds like exactly what I want... you wouldn't happen to have any pictures handy, do you?

Old 02-04-11, 05:29 AM
V
Lightbulb Another idea....

I am getting ready to paint my cabinets and seriously thinking of an off-white on the top (to match my appliances) and a barn red on the bottom...with black drawer pulls and black door knobs.....with a dark grey slate counter top.....sounds like we all like the same colors....anyone have any pics?? Thanks!!

JUST REALIZED THIS WAS FROM 2007...LOL YOU ARE ALL PROBABLY GETTING READY TO PAINT AGAIN!!!!

Last edited by VermontGal; 02-04-11 at 06:06 AM.