Wrong tub installed in my bathroom!!!

Old 10-27-07, 02:20 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wrong tub installed in my bathroom!!!

Hello!
I just bought my house a year ago. I have discovered that the upstairs bathtub has a leak. I chipped away some bullnose tile that went around the seal of the tub/wall area and noticed about a 1/2" gap between the tub and the wall. A friend explained to me that the former owners must have had the wrong tub type installed. Apparently the tub that is in now is a drop in, whirlpool tub that should be for a platform. The tub is installed in an alcove. This bathroom is fairly new and I had no plans (or money) to rip out the tub that is virtually completely tiled in. Is there ANY solution to stop the leak which has now damaged the ceiling downstairs?
I know that I'll eventually have to replace the tub, but is there a temporary fix that I can apply so that I can use the shower. Thanks a million for any suggestions.

Old 10-27-07, 05:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Have you determined where the leak was coming from? Is there an access panel built in so you can see inside the guts? Don't chip away too much tile, as it may be a drain or supply line causing you pain.

Old 10-28-07, 05:56 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I'mhome - I wouldn't rip out a 4 year old tub just because it's leaking. First step is to find out how it is leaking. It may have nothing to to with the 1/2" gap between the tub and wall.

As chandler posted, if it's a jetted tub, there should (must by code) be an access panel that might give you an idea on the leak.

Take some pics and post back.

Old 10-28-07, 07:50 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can install a drop in style tub as a recess with a tile bead kit that creates the needed flange around the tub. Unfortunately, unless it's installed correctly and steps are taken to ensure it won't be subjected to the movement of the structure, they will also fail pretty easy. If you can feel or see a drop off, either the flange came off or one was never installed. Least destructive method would be a hole cut through the sheetrock behind a wall of the tub. Easy to patch too. While the wall is open, you can also check other things too, such as if an appropriate substrate was installed and if a moisture barrier was installed. start cutting and post some pics.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: