Kitchen floor on lower level (HELP)

Old 11-13-07, 10:11 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Kitchen floor on lower level (HELP)

Greetings!

I need help with figuring out what to use to build a floor for a kitchen in our basement which has dirt under the rotted floor.

My wife is pregnant and due in January. She wants the kitchen done before Xmas. I figured to ripped out the whole kitchen (done). I am stuck now because I can't decide on how to proceed with the floor. So I walk around the kitchen around 1:00AM in the morning and contemplate what I will have to do when I ripped the floor. Do I have to replace the whole darn thing by installing 2 x 6 framing over some 6 mil vapor barrier over the dirt and then put plywood (3 / 8) over the 2 x 6.

Or do I ripped the plywood and spread 4 - 6 mil vapor barrier ove whatever framing underneath. I don't know if this is adequate for a home in the Hudson Valley (north region of NY) weather.

That's not all -- she wants the sink move to another location which requires me to cut a 4' pipe to allocate drainage for the new location.

Can anybody give me some idea on how to address the flooring part. I also want to add radiant heat after finishing the floor. Any help is greatly appreciate. Thanks.

Old 11-13-07, 03:11 PM
J
Hmmm, no replies, not surprised. There is no easy answer for this one.

The right way would be to dig out the floor, lay concrete over an insulated stone base, then go from there. But you don't have the time and I would guess not the money. The quick and dirty is to level the floor, install some kind of support for the floor framing, blocks or something. Lay down your 2x6 grid of PT lumber w/rigid foam insulation between the 2x6, then 3/4 plywood and your finish layer, vinyl or something, not ceramic tile. That should give you a stable floor for a while, but it will not last. So anything you put on the floor will be temporary...........say 5 yrs or so.

Old 11-14-07, 08:15 AM
Z
Talking Thanks "Just Bill" More ???

Thanks.. If I level the floor and put 4-6 Mil plastic as a vapor barrier and put those pressure treated 2 x 6 plus 3 /4 plywood and then add the Duroc cement board can I then put ceramic tiles on the floor? Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: