How do I choose counter top

Old 11-24-07, 03:06 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I choose counter top

I am planing to change the counter top.
Looking for some help choose , economic and best granite tops.
Any help will be highly appreciated.

Old 11-25-07, 06:07 AM
J
Economic and granite should not be used in the same sentence when talking about countertops. Old fashioned high pressure laminates(formica, Wilsonart, etc), are inexpensive, last a long time with little maintenance, and comes is about 200 colors. Usually about $40-60 per lineal foot. Post formed tops from big box are even cheaper, but look it. Granite often requires a lot of machining, has to be sealed against stains, and costs $150 and up per LF. Man made stone tops are uniform, don't need to be sealed, and may be slightly less than granite. And there are solid surface materials(Corian, etc). No visible seams, many colors, surface can be renewed, but has problems with hot pans. Slightly less than granite.

Old 11-25-07, 09:07 AM
In our area I found Silestone for about $70 a sq ft - almost on par with granite but more resilient (temps, stains, etc.) It was my one requirement for the kitchen though, and I budgeted around it. I probably would have selected a less expensive manmade material otherwise, not laminate because I can't stand the way it looks. A trip to the big boxes and a kitchen and bath design center or two will help. For small sections try looking for creative materials. We are using a piece of old bowling lane for our island counter, which could be finished with food grade oil and used a big butcher block, or poly for a more polished look.

Old 11-25-07, 01:08 PM
C
Received 129 Votes on 103 Posts
Granite prices vary widely depending mostly on the pattern of the stone. Engineered quartz products have less price variations. Both materials are expensive. They are not dIY friendly and a lot of the cost is labor for install and machining.

Manufacturers of laminates are starting to do photo imprint patterns. I saw a piece of laminate at a big box yesterday that I first mistook for granite. Unfortunately, IMO laminate is not the best choice for a kitchen countertop. It's too easy to damage. Laminate prices are also rising.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: