Acrylic tub install

Old 12-20-07, 05:13 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Acrylic tub install

Im installing on the second floor a new air jet acrylic tub and was prepared to set it in mortar until I noticed there are 4 acrylic legs molded under the tub that are aprox. 6 inches high. Install instructions make no mention of a mortar base and state for an alcove install to shim the legs to level and put up 3 edge supports, also putting a support in the front of the tub. Im just wondering that since this tub is off the floor by quite a bit I would need a signifigant amount of mortar. Would I be better off using low expansion foam or do I need anything at all. The installers told me they dont use anything under them but who knows how long these tubs have come with built in leg supports. Sorry Im at work right now and cant remember the name of the manufacturer of the tub.

Old 12-20-07, 05:26 AM
T
I just remembered the manufacturers name.
Its Mirolin
Here is a link to a pdf showing the install instructions.
Hopefully someone here can help me out on this one.
Thanks

Old 12-20-07, 03:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Most of the jet tubs I install are fastened to a sheet of OSB, which is in turn screwed to the floor. These legs rest on the OSB. You didn't include the link, so we'll wait to look at the instructions like good men do.

Old 12-20-07, 04:47 PM
C
Received 132 Votes on 106 Posts
Turfinator - Call/e-mail the company and ask for their recommendation. My guuess is that if they don't mention bedding the tub in their install instructions, it may not be required.

A 6" thick mortar bed under a tub is a lot of weight. Especially when you consider the additional weight of the water, tub and occupant(s). I have less than an inch of mortar under my jetted tub and it took nearly 1 1/2 50# bags.

I helped put a jetted tub in my son's house a couple of weeks ago and we used expanding foam to bed the tub. I think we used a dozen cans of "Great Stuff". I've never bedded a tub that way so I don't know how it will hold up long term.

Old 12-21-07, 04:04 AM
T
I contacted the company and they say that they dont recomend expanding foam or mortar. She did say I could put "some wood" under it if I felt the need. Here are the links
http://mirolin.com/pdf/84%20201.pdf
http://mirolin.com/single_product.ph...d&Model=RA5L/R

Old 02-14-08, 09:33 PM
J
installing mirolin tub with surround and roof

my wife and I just installed a mirolin tub air jet empire model with surround and roof. It required nothing beneath the tub as it has two feet at the back and the front face on ground level.
It is intentionally tilted towards the drain for water release.
It has requirements for a frame of 2x2 to which it screws to the front flange. hope that helps.
the mirolin website has great install videos.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: